98TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
State of Illinois
2013 and 2014
Introduced 2/5/2013, by Sen. Don Harmon
SYNOPSIS AS INTRODUCED:
Amends the Department of Juvenile Justice Mortality Review Team Act.
Provides that each mortality review team shall consist of at least one
member who is a representative of a bar association, law school, or legal
A BILL FOR
|SB1342||LRB098 06687 RLC 36733 b|
AN ACT concerning criminal law.
Be it enacted by the People of the State of Illinois,
represented in the General Assembly:
The Department of Juvenile Justice Mortality
Review Team Act is amended by changing Section 15 as follows:
(730 ILCS 195/15)
Mortality review teams; establishment.
(a) Upon the occurrence of the death of any youth in the
Department's custody, the Director shall appoint members and a
chairperson to a mortality review team. The Director shall make
the appointments within 30 days after the youth's death.
(b) Each mortality review team shall consist of at least
one member from each of the following categories:
(1) Pediatrician or other physician.
(2) Representative of the Department.
(3) State's Attorney or State's Attorney
(4) Representative of a local law enforcement agency.
(5) Psychologist or psychiatrist.
(6) Representative of a local health department.
(7) Designee of the Board of Education of the
Department of Juvenile Justice School District created
under Section 13-40 of the School Code.
|SB1342||- 2 -||LRB098 06687 RLC 36733 b|
(8) Coroner or forensic pathologist.
(9) Representative of a juvenile justice advocacy
(10) Representative of a local hospital, trauma
center, or provider of emergency medical services.
(11) Representative of the Department of State Police.
(12) Representative of the Office of the Governor's
Executive Inspector General.
(13) Representative of a bar association, law school,
or legal academic organization.
A mortality review team may make recommendations to the
Director concerning additional appointments.
(c) Each mortality review team member must have
demonstrated experience or an interest in welfare of youth in
(d) The mortality review teams shall be funded in the
Department's annual budget to provide for the travel expenses
of team members and professional services engaged by the team.
(e) If a death of a youth in the Department's custody
occurs while a prior youth death is under review by a team
pursuant to this Act, the Director may request that the team
review the subsequent death.
(f) Upon the conclusion of all reporting required under
Sections 20, 25, and 30 with respect to a death reviewed by a
team, all appointments to the team shall expire.
(Source: P.A. 96-1378, eff. 7-29-10.)