Updating the database of the Illinois Compiled Statutes (ILCS) is an ongoing process.
Recent laws may not yet be included in the ILCS database, but they are found on this site as Public
soon after they become law. For information concerning the relationship between statutes and Public Acts, refer to the
Because the statute database is maintained primarily for legislative drafting purposes,
statutory changes are sometimes included in the statute database before they take effect.
If the source note at the end of a Section of the statutes includes a Public Act that has
not yet taken effect, the version of the law that is currently in effect may have already
been removed from the database and you should refer to that Public Act to see the changes
made to the current law.
(10 ILCS 5/7-4)
(from Ch. 46, par. 7-4)
The following words and phrases in this Article 7 shall,
unless the same be inconsistent with the context, be construed as
1. The word "primary" the primary elections provided for in this
Article, which are the general primary, the consolidated primary, and for
those municipalities which have annual partisan elections for any officer,
the municipal primary held 6 weeks prior to the general primary election
date in even numbered years.
2. The definition of terms in Section 1-3 of this Act shall apply to
3. The word "precinct" a voting district heretofore or hereafter
established by law within which all qualified electors vote at one
4. The words "state office" or "state officer", an office to be
filled, or an officer to be voted for, by qualified electors of the
entire state, including United States Senator and Congressman at large.
5. The words "congressional office" or "congressional officer",
representatives in Congress.
6. The words "county office" or "county officer," include an office
to be filled or an officer to be voted for, by the qualified electors of
the entire county. "County office" or "county officer" also include the
assessor and board of appeals and county commissioners and president of
county board of Cook County, and county board members and the chair
of the county board in counties subject to "An Act relating to the
composition and election of county boards in certain counties", enacted
by the 76th General Assembly.
7. The words "city office" and "village office," and "incorporated
town office" or "city officer" and "village officer", and "incorporated
town officer" an office to be filled or an officer to be voted for by
the qualified electors of the entire municipality, including aldermen.
8. The words "town office" or "town officer", an office to be filled
or an officer to be voted for by the qualified electors of an entire
9. The words "town" and "incorporated town" shall respectively be
defined as in Section 1-3 of this Act.
10. The words "delegates and alternate delegates to National
nominating conventions" include all delegates and alternate delegates to
National nominating conventions whether they be elected from the state
at large or from congressional districts or selected by State convention
unless contrary and non-inclusive language specifically limits the term
to one class.
11. "Judicial office" means a post held by a judge of the Supreme,
Appellate or Circuit Court.
(Source: P.A. 100-1027, eff. 1-1-19