April 15, 2010
what we can and cannot do for you
for legislators and staff, we can:
- Conduct original research into the topic of your choosing. We have a library in our office, special access to state library materials, and electronic access to several national databases. We frequently contact other states. We seek the best source of information on each topic, communicating with the source directly whenever possible.
- Survey other states' laws, including providing comparisons with Illinois' law.
- Research and provide copies of bills from other state assemblies.
- Research and/or provide copies of historical state documents, such as task force or commission reports - the LRU is the statutory repository of many reports required by state law.
- Always do our best to get you the information you need, when you need it.
we do not:
- Tell one legislator or staff person what we have done, or are doing, for another. Our conversations with, and research provided to, members and staff are confidential. It is up to the recipient to decide how to use it. But if two people ask for the same thing, they get the same thing.
for the press and public, we can:
- Provide many of our publications for free download from this website. If it's posted on this website, it is available to you to peruse or download, and there is no charge. If you're going to use our documents in research of your own, we ask only that you properly cite the LRU as the source of the information, and not change what we have written.
- Provide printed copies of publications in reasonable numbers, while supplies last.
- Conduct research for the public on request; we do not have the resources.
- Provide research we compiled for legislators, unless we know it has been used publicly.
- Provide information about current or past research activities.
- Provide any form of legal counsel or advice to you.
- Contact legislators or legislative staff on your behalf.