|Public Act 096-0342
||LRB096 11179 ASK 21566 b
AN ACT concerning elevator regulation.
Be it enacted by the People of the State of Illinois,
represented in the General Assembly:
The Elevator Safety and Regulation Act is
amended by changing Section 10 as follows:
(225 ILCS 312/10)
(Section scheduled to be repealed on January 1, 2013)
(a) This Act covers the construction, operation,
maintenance, alteration, and repair of
the following equipment, its associated
hoistways (except as modified by subsection (c) of this
(1) Hoisting and lowering mechanisms equipped with a
car or platform,
which move between 2 or more landings.
This equipment includes, but is not
following (also see ASME A17.1, ASME A17.3, and ASME
(B) Platform lifts and stairway chair lifts.
(2) Power driven stairways and walkways for carrying
landings. This equipment includes, but is
not limited to, the following (also
see ASME A17.1 and ASME
(B) Moving walks.
(3) Hoisting and lowering mechanisms equipped with a
car, which serves
2 or more landings and is restricted to
the carrying of material by its
size or limited
access to the car. This equipment includes, but is not
following (also see ASME A17.1 and ASME
(B) Material lifts and dumbwaiters with automatic
(b) This Act covers the construction, operation,
alteration, and repair of automatic
guided transit vehicles on guideways with
right-of-way. This equipment includes, but is not limited to,
movers (also see ASCE 21).
(c) This Act does not apply to the following equipment:
(1) Material hoists within the scope of ANSI A10.5.
Manlifts within the scope of ASME A90.1.
(3) Mobile scaffolds, towers, and platforms within the
scope of ANSI A92.
(4) Powered platforms and equipment for exterior and
maintenance within the scope of ANSI 120.1.
(5) Conveyors and related equipment within the scope of
(6) Cranes, derricks, hoists, hooks, jacks, and slings
within the scope of ASME B30.
(7) Industrial trucks within the scope of ASME B56.
(8) Portable equipment, except for portable escalators
that are covered by ANSI A17.1.
(9) Tiering or piling machines used to move materials
to and from
storage located and operating entirely within
(10) Equipment for feeding or positioning materials at
printing presses, etc.
(11) Skip or furnace hoists.
(12) Wharf ramps.
(13) Railroad car lifts or dumpers.
(14) Line jacks, false cars, shafters, moving
platforms, and similar
equipment used for installing an
elevator by a contractor licensed in this
(16) Conveyances located in a private residence not
accessible to the public.
Special purpose personnel elevators within the
scope of ASME A17.1 and used only by authorized personnel
(d) This Act does not apply to a municipality with a
population over 500,000.
(Source: P.A. 94-698, eff. 11-22-05; 95-573, eff. 8-31-07.)
This Act takes effect upon