Illinois Compiled Statutes
Information maintained by the Legislative
Updating the database of the Illinois Compiled Statutes (ILCS) is an ongoing process.
Recent laws may not yet be included in the ILCS database, but they are found on this site as Public
soon after they become law. For information concerning the relationship between statutes and Public Acts, refer to the
Because the statute database is maintained primarily for legislative drafting purposes,
statutory changes are sometimes included in the statute database before they take effect.
If the source note at the end of a Section of the statutes includes a Public Act that has
not yet taken effect, the version of the law that is currently in effect may have already
been removed from the database and you should refer to that Public Act to see the changes
made to the current law.
775 ILCS 5/5-101
(775 ILCS 5/5-101)
(from Ch. 68, par. 5-101)
The following definitions are applicable
strictly in the context of this Article:
(A) Place of Public Accommodation. "Place of public
accommodation" includes, but is not limited to:
(1) an inn, hotel, motel, or other place of lodging,
except for an establishment located within a building that contains not more than 5 units for rent or hire and that is actually occupied by the proprietor of such establishment as the residence of such proprietor;
(2) a restaurant, bar, or other establishment serving
(3) a motion picture house, theater, concert hall,
stadium, or other place of exhibition or entertainment;
(4) an auditorium, convention center, lecture hall,
or other place of public gathering;
(5) a bakery, grocery store, clothing store, hardware
store, shopping center, or other sales or rental establishment;
(6) a laundromat, dry-cleaner, bank, barber shop,
beauty shop, travel service, shoe repair service, funeral parlor, gas station, office of an accountant or lawyer, pharmacy, insurance office, professional office of a health care provider, hospital, or other service establishment;
(7) public conveyances on air, water, or land;
(8) a terminal, depot, or other station used for
specified public transportation;
(9) a museum, library, gallery, or other place of
public display or collection;
(10) a park, zoo, amusement park, or other place of
(11) a non-sectarian nursery, day care center,
elementary, secondary, undergraduate, or postgraduate school, or other place of education;
(12) a senior citizen center, homeless shelter, food
bank, non-sectarian adoption agency, or other social service center establishment; and
(13) a gymnasium, health spa, bowling alley, golf
course, or other place of exercise or recreation.
(B) Operator. "Operator" means any owner, lessee, proprietor,
manager, superintendent, agent, or occupant of a place of public
accommodation or an employee of any such person or persons.
(C) Public Official. "Public official" means any officer or employee
of the state or any agency thereof, including state political subdivisions,
municipal corporations, park districts, forest preserve districts, educational
institutions, and schools.
(Source: P.A. 100-863, eff. 8-14-18.)