Illinois Compiled Statutes
Information maintained by the Legislative
Updating the database of the Illinois Compiled Statutes (ILCS) is an ongoing process.
Recent laws may not yet be included in the ILCS database, but they are found on this site as Public
soon after they become law. For information concerning the relationship between statutes and Public Acts, refer to the
Because the statute database is maintained primarily for legislative drafting purposes,
statutory changes are sometimes included in the statute database before they take effect.
If the source note at the end of a Section of the statutes includes a Public Act that has
not yet taken effect, the version of the law that is currently in effect may have already
been removed from the database and you should refer to that Public Act to see the changes
made to the current law.
225 ILCS 5/3
(225 ILCS 5/3)
(from Ch. 111, par. 7603)
(Section scheduled to be repealed on January 1, 2026)
As used in this Act:
(1) "Department" means the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation.
(2) "Secretary" means the Secretary of Financial and Professional Regulation.
(3) "Board" means the Illinois Board of Athletic Trainers appointed by the Secretary.
athletic trainer" means a person licensed to
practice athletic training as defined in this Act and with the specific
qualifications set forth in Section 9 of this Act who, upon
direction of his or her team physician or consulting
carries out the practice of prevention/emergency care or
reconditioning of injuries incurred by athletes participating in
an athletic program conducted by an educational institution,
professional athletic organization, or sanctioned amateur athletic
organization employing the athletic trainer; or a person who, under the
direction of a physician, carries out comparable functions for a health
organization-based extramural program of athletic training services for
athletes. Specific duties of the athletic trainer include but are not limited
A. Supervision of the selection, fitting, and
maintenance of protective equipment;
B. Provision of assistance to the coaching staff in
the development and implementation of conditioning programs;
C. Counseling of athletes on nutrition and hygiene;
D. Supervision of athletic training facility and
inspection of playing facilities;
E. Selection and maintenance of athletic training
F. Instruction and supervision of student trainer
G. Coordination with a team physician to provide:
(i) pre-competition physical exam and health
(ii) game coverage or phone access to a physician
(iii) follow-up injury care,
(iv) reconditioning programs, and
(v) assistance on all matters pertaining to the
health and well-being of athletes.
H. Provision of on-site injury care and evaluation as
well as appropriate transportation, follow-up treatment and rehabilitation as necessary for all injuries sustained by athletes in the program;
I. With a physician, determination of when an athlete
may safely return to full participation post-injury; and
J. Maintenance of complete and accurate records of
all athletic injuries and treatments rendered.
To carry out these functions the athletic trainer is authorized to
utilize modalities, including, but not limited to, heat, light, sound, cold, electricity, exercise,
or mechanical devices related to
care and reconditioning.
(5) "Referral" means the guidance and direction
given by the physician, who shall maintain supervision of the athlete.
(6) "Athletic trainer aide" means a person who has received on-the-job training specific to the facility in which he or she is employed, on either a paid or volunteer basis, but is not enrolled in an accredited athletic training curriculum.
(7) "Address of record" means the designated address recorded by the Department in the applicant's or licensee's application file or license file as maintained by the Department's licensure maintenance unit. It is the duty of the applicant or licensee to inform the Department of any change of address, and those changes must be made either through the Department's website or by contacting the Department.
(8) "Board of Certification" means the Board of Certification for the Athletic Trainer.
(Source: P.A. 99-469, eff. 8-26-15.)