Illinois General Assembly

  Bills & Resolutions  
  Compiled Statutes  
  Public Acts  
  Legislative Reports  
  IL Constitution  
  Legislative Guide  
  Legislative Glossary  

 Search By Number
 (example: HB0001)
Search Tips

Search By Keyword

Illinois Compiled Statutes

 ILCS Listing   Public Acts  Search   Guide   Disclaimer

Information maintained by the Legislative Reference Bureau
Updating the database of the Illinois Compiled Statutes (ILCS) is an ongoing process. Recent laws may not yet be included in the ILCS database, but they are found on this site as Public Acts soon after they become law. For information concerning the relationship between statutes and Public Acts, refer to the Guide.

Because the statute database is maintained primarily for legislative drafting purposes, statutory changes are sometimes included in the statute database before they take effect. If the source note at the end of a Section of the statutes includes a Public Act that has not yet taken effect, the version of the law that is currently in effect may have already been removed from the database and you should refer to that Public Act to see the changes made to the current law.

65 ILCS 5/11-135.5-40

    (65 ILCS 5/11-135.5-40)
    Sec. 11-135.5-40. Property.
    (a) Generally. A commission may (i) acquire, hold, sell, lease as lessor or lessee, transfer, or dispose of real or personal property, or interest therein, and (ii) acquire by gift, legacy, or grant any real estate or personal property, or rights therein, in all such instances as it deems appropriate in the exercise of its powers for its lawful purposes, whether the land or personal property is located within or outside the boundaries of the members of the commission. The commission also may accept any grant, subsidy, or contribution from the United States, the State of Illinois, a unit of local government, or any other governmental entity, or any combination thereof.
    (b) Private property. Whenever a commission passes an ordinance for the construction or acquisition of any waterworks properties, or improvements or extension or mains, pumping stations, reservoirs, or other appurtenances thereto, which such commission is authorized to make, the making of which will require that private property be taken or damaged, such commission may cause compensation therefor to be ascertained and may condemn and acquire possession thereof in the same manner as nearly as may be, as provided for the exercise of the right of eminent domain under the Eminent Domain Act. However, proceedings to ascertain the compensation to be paid for taking or damaging private property shall be instituted in the circuit court of the county where the property sought to be taken or damaged is situated.
    (c) Public property. When a commission created under this Division requires that public property be taken or damaged for the purposes specified in this Section, the commission may condemn and acquire possession of public property and cause compensation for such public property to be ascertained in the same manner provided for the exercise of the right of eminent domain under the Eminent Domain Act while the commission has the power to initiate action in the manner provided by Article 20 of the Eminent Domain Act.
    (d) Highways and public ground. A commission may construct, maintain, alter, and extend its water mains as a proper use of highways along, upon, under, and across any highway, street, alley, or public ground in the State, including highways within a municipality, but so as not to inconvenience the public use thereof, and the commission may construct, maintain, and operate any conduit or conduits, water pipe or pipes, wholly or partially buried or otherwise in, upon, and along any of the lands owned by the State and under any of the public waters therein. However, the right, permission, and authority hereby created shall be subject to all public rights of commerce and navigation and the authority of the United States in behalf of such public rights and also the laws of the State to regulate and control the same. Notice shall be given to the highway authorities of a municipality, county, township, road district, or township district in which such highway, street, or public way may be situated at least 60 days before any construction or installation work in such highway or street shall commence. All laws and ordinances pertaining to such work for the protection of the public and of public property shall be complied with, except that no fee may be charged such commission for the construction or installation of such facilities in such public places.
    (e) Surplus property. When, in the opinion of a commission, real estate owned by it, however acquired, is no longer necessary, appropriate, required for the use of, profitable to, or for best interest of the commission, such commission may, by resolution, lease such surplus real estate for a period not to exceed 99 years or sell such surplus real estate, in accordance with procedures established in the intergovernmental agreement or bylaws or adopted by resolution by such commission.
    (f) Tax exemption. All property, income, and receipts of or transactions by a commission shall be exempt from all taxation, the same as if it were the property, income, or receipts of or transaction by the member municipalities.
    (g) Agricultural impact mitigation agreement. For any private property that is used for agricultural purposes, as defined in Section 1-60 of the Property Tax Code, that is damaged or taken by a commission created under this Division, the commission shall enter into an agricultural impact mitigation agreement with the Illinois Department of Agriculture to ensure any negative impacts to private property are properly mitigated.
(Source: P.A. 102-684, eff. 12-16-21.)