Illinois General Assembly

  Bills & Resolutions  
  Compiled Statutes  
  Public Acts  
  Legislative Reports  
  IL Constitution  
  Legislative Guide  
  Legislative Glossary  

 Search By Number
 (example: HB0001)
Search Tips

Search By Keyword

Illinois Compiled Statutes

 ILCS Listing   Public Acts  Search   Guide   Disclaimer

Information maintained by the Legislative Reference Bureau
Updating the database of the Illinois Compiled Statutes (ILCS) is an ongoing process. Recent laws may not yet be included in the ILCS database, but they are found on this site as Public Acts soon after they become law. For information concerning the relationship between statutes and Public Acts, refer to the Guide.

Because the statute database is maintained primarily for legislative drafting purposes, statutory changes are sometimes included in the statute database before they take effect. If the source note at the end of a Section of the statutes includes a Public Act that has not yet taken effect, the version of the law that is currently in effect may have already been removed from the database and you should refer to that Public Act to see the changes made to the current law.

5 ILCS 312/4-101

    (5 ILCS 312/4-101) (from Ch. 102, par. 204-101)
    Sec. 4-101. Changes causing commission to cease to be in effect. When any notary public legally changes his or her name, changes his or her business address without notifying the Index Department of the Secretary of State in writing within 30 days thereof, or, if the notary public is a resident of a state bordering Illinois, no longer maintains a principal place of work or principal place of business in the same county in Illinois in which he or she was commissioned, the commission of that notary ceases to be in effect. When the commission of a notary public ceases to be in effect, his or her notarial seal shall be surrendered to the Secretary of State, and his or her certificate of notarial commission shall be destroyed. These individuals who desire to again become a notary public must file a new application, bond, and oath with the Secretary of State.
(Source: P.A. 100-809, eff. 1-1-19.)