(625 ILCS 5/4-305) (from Ch. 95 1/2, par. 4-305)
    Sec. 4-305. Inventory, collection and disposal facilities. If not otherwise economically practicable, the Board may provide by contract with private persons or agencies, or with political subdivisions of the State of Illinois and all local governmental units of government, for the inventory, collection and disposal or any portion thereof, of abandoned and derelict vehicles to wrecking, salvage or recycling plants, or, provide facilities for the collection and proper disposal of any vehicle under the provisions of this Act, as amended.
    The Board may further formulate a program, statewide or within prescribed areas, for the inventory and collection of abandoned and derelict vehicles and to provide for their junking, salvage or recycling. In all cases, the Board shall coordinate such program with each affected State agency, local governmental unit, and local law enforcement agencies.
    The Board may further subsidize political subdivisions of this State, local governmental units and local law enforcement agencies for their costs, provable by audit and not otherwise recoverable from any proceeds derived from any sale of abandoned and derelict vehicles, in collecting, storing and disposing of such vehicles during a reimbursement period set by the Board.
    Any expenditure of funds hereunder shall be subject to audit by the Auditor General, within the appropriations for this purpose by the General Assembly, and may be made only in the event that cost-analysis and program efficiency show that such reimbursement subsidy is justified. No owner of any abandoned or derelict vehicle shall in any way, receive any funds hereunder. This shall not, however, prohibit the Board from examining the strategy of paying owners of discarded vehicles a limited sum for delivering their vehicles to a collection point when scrap prices are depressed; and bringing emergency measures such as this to the attention of the General Assembly for its consideration at a later time.
(Source: P.A. 81-653.)