(510 ILCS 20/2-1)
    Sec. 2-1. Nuisances. All bees, colonies, or items of bee equipment, where bee diseases, bee parasites or exotic strains of bees exist; or hives that cannot be readily inspected; or colonies that are not registered, are declared to be nuisances to be regulated as prescribed by the Department.
    If the Department finds by inspection that any person is maintaining a nuisance as described in this Section, it shall proceed to regulate the nuisance by methods or procedures deemed necessary for control in accordance with rules and regulations of the Department.
    If the owner or beekeeper cannot be found or will not consent to the terms for regulation of the nuisance, the Department shall notify in writing the owner or beekeeper, disclose the fact that a nuisance exists, and prescribe the method by which the nuisance may be abated. The notice declaring that a nuisance exists and ordering its abatement shall include:
        (1) a statement of conditions constituting the
        (2) establishment of the time period within which the
nuisance is to be abated;
        (3) directions, written or printed, pointing out the
methods that shall be employed to abate the nuisance;
        (4) a statement of the consequences should the owner
or beekeeper fail to comply.
    The notice may be served personally or by certified mail with a return receipt requested. The directions for abatement of a nuisance may consist of a printed circular, bulletin or report of the Department, the United States Department of Agriculture or others, or an extract from such document.
    If the person so notified refuses or fails to abate the nuisance in the manner and in the time prescribed in the notice, the Department may cause the nuisance to be abated. The Department shall certify, to the owner or beekeeper, the cost of the abatement. The owner or beekeeper shall pay to the Department any costs of that action, within 60 days after certification that the nuisance has been abated. If the costs of abatement are not remitted, the Department may recover the costs before any court in the State having competent jurisdiction.
(Source: P.A. 98-756, eff. 7-16-14.)