(430 ILCS 85/2-2)
(from Ch. 111 1/2, par. 4052)
As used in this Act, unless the context
1. "Director" means the Director of Labor or his or her designee.
2. "Department" means Department of Labor.
3. "Amusement attraction" means an enclosed building or structure,
including electrical equipment which is an integral part of the building or
structure, through which people walk without the aid of any moving device,
that provides amusement, thrills or excitement at a fair, carnival, or an amusement enterprise,
except any such enclosed building or structure which is subject to the
jurisdiction of a local building code.
4. "Amusement ride" means:
(a) any mechanized device or combination of devices,
including electrical equipment which is an integral part of the device or devices, which carries passengers along, around, or over a fixed or restricted course for the primary purpose of giving its passengers amusement, pleasure, thrills, or excitement;
(b) any ski lift, rope tow, or other device used to
(c-5) any trampoline court;
(d) any dry slide, alpine slide, or toboggan slide,
(1) any slide that is placed in a playground and
that does not normally require the supervision or services of a person responsible for its operation; or
(2) any slide that is not open to the general
public and for which admission is monitored and strictly controlled by invitation, company or group identification, or other means of identification;
(e) any tram, open car, or combination of open cars
or wagons pulled by a tractor or other motorized device which is not licensed by the Secretary of State, which may, but does not necessarily follow a fixed or restricted course, and is used primarily for the purpose of giving its passengers amusement, pleasure, thrills or excitement, and for which an individual fee is charged or a donation accepted with the exception of hayrack rides;
(f) any bungee cord or similar elastic device; or
(g) any inflatable attraction.
5. "Carnival" or "amusement enterprise" means an enterprise which offers amusement or entertainment
to the public by means of one or more amusement attractions or amusement rides.
6. "Fair" means an enterprise principally devoted to the exhibition of
products of agriculture or industry in connection with which
amusement rides or amusement attractions are operated.
7. "Operator" means a person, or the agent of a person, who owns or
controls or has the duty to control the operation of an amusement ride or
an amusement attraction at a carnival, amusement enterprise, or fair. "Operator" includes an
agency of the State or any of its political subdivisions.
8. "Carnival worker" or "amusement enterprise worker" means a person who is employed (and is therefore not a volunteer) by a carnival, amusement enterprise, or fair to manage, physically operate, or assist in the operation of an amusement ride or amusement attraction when it is open to the public.
9. "Volunteer" means a person who operates or assists in the operation of an amusement ride or amusement attraction for an owner or operator without pay or lodging. An individual shall not be considered a volunteer if the individual is otherwise employed by the same owner or operator to perform the same type of service as those for which the individual proposes to volunteer.
10. "Inflatable attraction" means an amusement ride or device designed for use that may include, but not be limited to, bounce, climb, slide, or interactive play, which is made of flexible fabric, is kept inflated by continuous air flow by one or more blowers, and relies upon air pressure to maintain its shape.
11. "Trampoline court" means a commercial facility with a defined area composed of one or more trampolines, a series of trampolines, a trampoline court foam pit, or a series of trampoline court foam pits. "Trampoline court" does not include a gymnastic training facility that only utilizes trampolines during the supervised instruction of gymnastic skills.
(Source: P.A. 102-255, eff. 1-1-22