(415 ILCS 15/10.1) (from Ch. 85, par. 5960.1)
    Sec. 10.1. (a) No person may sell or offer for sale at retail to consumers in this State any beverage packaged in a plastic can unless such person has first demonstrated to the satisfaction of the Agency that:
    (1) plastic cans can be collected and recycled in a manner that will not interfere with the processing of scrap aluminum cans; and
    (2) plastic cans can be collected, processed and transported to secondary materials markets at a cost that provides a reasonable profit to recycling operations in the State.
    (b) For the purpose of this Section, "plastic can" means a beverage container having a capacity of 16 fluid ounces or less, composed of clear polyethylene terephthalate thermoplastic, and where the basic structure of the container, exclusive of the closure, also includes aluminum or steel.
    (c) Any person adversely affected or threatened by a final determination of the Agency under this Section may obtain review by filing a petition for review with the Pollution Control Board in the manner provided for permit appeals in the Environmental Protection Act.
    (d) Any person that knowingly violates this Section shall be liable for a civil penalty not to exceed $5,000 for each violation; such penalty may, upon order of a court of competent jurisdiction, be made payable to the Solid Waste Management Fund, to be used in accordance with the provisions of the Illinois Solid Waste Management Act.
    The State's Attorney or any person of the county in which the violation occurred, or the Attorney General, at the request of the Agency or on his own motion, may institute a civil action against any violator of this Section. The court may award costs and reasonable attorney fees to the State's Attorney, Attorney General, or other person who has prevailed against a person who has committed a willful, knowing or repeated violation of this Section.
    Any funds collected in a proceeding under this subsection (d) in which the Attorney General has prevailed shall be deposited in the Solid Waste Management Fund.
(Source: P.A. 86-774.)