(410 ILCS 705/55-20)
Advertising and promotions.
(a) No cannabis business establishment nor any other person or entity shall engage in advertising that contains any statement or illustration that:
(1) is false or misleading;
(2) promotes overconsumption of cannabis or cannabis
(3) depicts the actual consumption of cannabis or
(4) depicts a person under 21 years of age consuming
(5) makes any health, medicinal, or therapeutic
claims about cannabis or cannabis-infused products;
(6) includes the image of a cannabis leaf or bud; or
(7) includes any image designed or likely to appeal
to minors, including cartoons, toys, animals, or children, or any other likeness to images, characters, or phrases that is designed in any manner to be appealing to or encourage consumption by persons under 21 years of age.
(b) No cannabis business establishment nor any other person or entity shall place or maintain, or cause to be placed or maintained, an advertisement of cannabis or a cannabis-infused product in any form or through any medium:
(1) within 1,000 feet of the perimeter of school
grounds, a playground, a recreation center or facility, a child care center, a public park or public library, or a game arcade to which admission is not restricted to persons 21 years of age or older;
(2) on or in a public transit vehicle or public
(3) on or in publicly owned or publicly operated
(4) that contains information that:
(A) is false or misleading;
(B) promotes excessive consumption;
(C) depicts a person under 21 years of age
(D) includes the image of a cannabis leaf; or
(E) includes any image designed or likely to
appeal to minors, including cartoons, toys, animals, or children, or any other likeness to images, characters, or phrases that are popularly used to advertise to children, or any imitation of candy packaging or labeling, or that promotes consumption of cannabis.
(c) Subsections (a) and (b) do not apply to an educational message.
(d) Sales promotions. No cannabis business establishment nor any other person or entity may encourage the sale of cannabis or cannabis products by giving away cannabis or cannabis products, by conducting games or competitions related to the consumption of cannabis or cannabis products, or by providing promotional materials or activities of a manner or type that would be appealing to children.
(Source: P.A. 101-27, eff. 6-25-19; 101-593, eff. 12-4-19.)