(410 ILCS 535/1)
(from Ch. 111 1/2, par. 73-1)
As used in this Act, unless the context otherwise requires:
(1) "Vital records" means records of births, deaths, fetal deaths,
marriages, dissolution of marriages, and data related thereto.
(2) "System of vital records" includes the registration, collection,
preservation, amendment, and certification of vital records, and
activities related thereto.
(3) "Filing" means the presentation of a certificate, report, or
other record provided for in this Act, of a birth, death, fetal death,
adoption, marriage, or dissolution of marriage, for registration by the Office of Vital
(4) "Registration" means the acceptance by the Office of Vital
Records and the incorporation in its official records of certificates,
reports, or other records provided for in this Act, of births, deaths,
fetal deaths, adoptions, marriages, or dissolution of marriages.
(5) "Live birth" means the complete expulsion or extraction from its
mother of a product of human conception, irrespective of the duration of
pregnancy, which after such separation breathes or shows any other
evidence of life such as beating of the heart, pulsation of the
umbilical cord, or definite movement of voluntary muscles, whether or
not the umbilical cord has been cut or the placenta is attached.
(6) "Fetal death" means death prior to the complete expulsion or
extraction from the uterus of a product of human conception,
irrespective of the duration of pregnancy, and which is not due to an abortion as defined in Section 1-10 of the Reproductive Health Act. The death is indicated by the
fact that after such separation the fetus does not breathe or show any
other evidence of life such as beating of the heart, pulsation of the
umbilical cord, or definite movement of voluntary muscles.
(7) "Dead body" means a lifeless human body or parts of such body or
bones thereof from the state of which it may reasonably be concluded
that death has occurred.
(8) "Final disposition" means the burial, cremation, or other
disposition of a dead human body or fetus or parts thereof.
(9) "Physician" means a person licensed to practice medicine in
Illinois or any other state.
(10) "Institution" means any establishment, public or private, which
provides in-patient medical, surgical, or diagnostic care or treatment,
or nursing, custodial, or domiciliary care to 2 or more unrelated
individuals, or to which persons are committed by law.
(11) "Department" means the Department of Public Health of the State
(12) "Director" means the Director of the Illinois Department of
(13) "Licensed health care professional" means a person licensed to practice as a physician, advanced practice registered nurse, or physician assistant in Illinois or any other state.
(14) "Licensed mental health professional" means a person who is licensed or registered to provide mental health services by the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation or a board of registration duly authorized to register or grant licenses to persons engaged in the practice of providing mental health services in Illinois or any other state.
(15) "Intersex condition" means a condition in which a person is born with a reproductive or sexual anatomy or chromosome pattern that does not fit typical definitions of male or female.
(16) "Homeless person" means an individual who meets the definition of "homeless" under Section 103 of the federal McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act (42 U.S.C. 11302) or an individual residing in any of the living situations described in 42 U.S.C. 11434a(2).
(Source: P.A. 100-360, eff. 1-1-18; 100-506, eff. 1-1-18; 100-863, eff. 8-14-18; 101-13, eff. 6-12-19.)