(215 ILCS 5/1515)
    Sec. 1515. License required.
    (a) A person shall not act, advertise, solicit, or hold himself out as a public adjuster or to be in the business of adjusting insurance claims in this State, nor attempt to obtain a contract for public adjusting services, unless the person is licensed as a public adjuster in accordance with this Article.
    (b) A person licensed as a public adjuster shall not misrepresent to a claimant that he or she is an adjuster representing an insurer in any capacity, including acting as an employee of the insurer or acting as an independent adjuster unless so appointed by an insurer in writing to act on the insurer's behalf for that specific claim or purpose. A licensed public adjuster is prohibited from charging that specific claimant a fee when appointed by the insurer and the appointment is accepted by the public adjuster.
    (c) A business entity acting as a public adjuster is required to obtain a public adjuster license. Application shall be made using the Uniform Business Entity Application. Before approving the application, the Director shall find that:
        (1) the business entity has paid the required fees
to be registered as a business entity in this State; and
        (2) all officers, shareholders, and persons with
ownership interests in the business entity are licensed public adjusters responsible for the business entity's compliance with the insurance laws, rules, and regulations of this State.
    (d) Notwithstanding subsections (a) through (c) of this Section, a license as a public adjuster shall not be required of the following:
        (1) an attorney admitted to practice in this State,
when acting in his or her professional capacity as an attorney;
        (2) a person who negotiates or settles claims arising
under a life or health insurance policy or an annuity contract;
        (3) a person employed only for the purpose of
obtaining facts surrounding a loss or furnishing technical assistance to a licensed public adjuster, including photographers, estimators, private investigators, engineers, and handwriting experts;
        (4) a licensed health care provider, or employee of a
licensed health care provider, who prepares or files a health claim form on behalf of a patient; or
        (5) a person who settles subrogation claims between
(Source: P.A. 96-1332, eff. 1-1-11.)