(70 ILCS 3710/8) (from Ch. 111 2/3, par. 220)
    Sec. 8. The board of trustees of any water service district organized hereunder may contract with any city, village or incorporated town lying adjacent to such district or with a public utility for water service to be furnished by such municipality or utility for water service in the district. The board of trustees may also contract for the installation, rental or use of water service mains within the water service district and for the furnishing of water service to be used within such district.
    Any water service district incorporated under this Act may borrow money for the purpose of furnishing and installing water service mains for the district and may issue bonds therefor, but shall not become indebted in any manner, or for any purpose to an amount in the aggregate to exceed 5% on the valuation of taxable property therein to be ascertained by the last assessment for State and County taxes previous to the incurring of such indebtedness. Whenever the board of trustees of such district desire to issue bonds hereunder they shall order the question to be submitted at an election to be held in such district. The board shall certify the question to the proper election officials, who shall submit the question at an election in accordance with the general election law. The notice of election shall be given in the manner provided by the general election law and shall state the amount of bonds to be issued. The board of trustees shall cause the result of the election to be entered upon the records of the district. If a majority of the voters shall have voted in favor of the issue of the bonds, the board of trustees shall order and direct the execution of the bonds for and on behalf of the district. All bonds issued hereunder shall mature within 20 years. The proposition under this section shall be in substantially the following form:
    Shall bonds be issued               YES
for water service in the         -----------------------------
amount of.... dollars?                 NO
(Source: P.A. 81-1489.)