(70 ILCS 805/18.6a) (from Ch. 96 1/2, par. 6340a)
    Sec. 18.6a. Each forest preserve district which has on its property a sanitary landfill or pollution control facility may create, maintain and increase a separate fund to be known as the "Landfill Expense Fund" for the purpose of paying all costs and expenses incurred by said forest preserve district for or as a result of that sanitary landfill or pollution control facility either during its operation or after its closure, including but not limited to the cost of maintenance, monitoring, sampling or testing of groundwater or landfill gas, fencing, erosion control, improvements, restoration, filling, covering, revegetation, seeding, regrading, compacting, excavating or removal of materials, remedial action, response, the collection, treatment or disposal of leachate and landfill gas, preventive and corrective actions necessary or appropriate in circumstances which will or may cause an immediate or long-term danger to the environment or the public health or which will or may prevent or delay public usage of the property, and payment of damages or settlements awarded or made as a result of the operation of the sanitary landfill or pollution control facility, either during its operation or after its closure. This fund may be maintained for a period not to exceed 40 years from the date of closure of the facility and may be invested as provided in this Act and interest accumulated thereon.
    In order to accumulate monies for this fund, each forest preserve district having such a fund may, in addition to other charges imposed for the deposit of material at the sanitary landfill or pollution control facility by the owner or operator of the landfill, also impose a charge upon the operator or users of a landfill or facility in existence on or before July 1, 1988 sufficient to provide a fund which will pay for the costs set forth herein; however, such charge shall not exceed 70 per cubic yard of solid waste permanently disposed of at the landfill or facility.
(Source: P.A. 88-681, eff. 12-22-94.)