(65 ILCS 5/6-4-7)
(from Ch. 24, par. 6-4-7)
- Powers and duties.
The powers and duties of the mayor shall be:
(1) To enforce the laws and ordinances within the municipality;
(2) To appoint and remove his administrative assistants, budget and
finance director, heads of all departments, and to appoint and remove all
other officers of the municipality, commissions, boards and agencies,
except those covered by the civil service act in municipalities which have
adopted said act and except as provided in Section 6-4-14. No appointment
shall be made upon any basis other than that of merit and fitness and in
compliance with provisions of this act and with qualifications established
by the city council.
(3) To exercise control of all departments and divisions thereof created
in this Article 6, or that may be created by the council;
(4) To attend all meetings of the council with the right to take part in
the discussions, but with no right to vote, except as authorized in Section
(5) To recommend to the council for adoption such measures as he may
deem necessary or expedient;
(6) To perform such other duties as may be prescribed by this Article 6
or may be required of him by ordinance.
(Source: P.A. 76-746.)