(50 ILCS 707/15)
Rules; in-car video camera grants.
(a) The Board shall develop model rules for the use of in-car video cameras to be adopted by law enforcement agencies that receive grants under Section 10 of this Act. The rules shall include all of the following requirements:
(1) Cameras must be installed in the law enforcement
(2) Video recording must provide audio of the officer
when the officer is outside of the vehicle.
(3) Camera access must be restricted to the
supervisors of the officer in the vehicle.
(4) Cameras must be turned on continuously throughout
(5) A copy of the video record must be made available
upon request to personnel of the law enforcement agency, the local State's Attorney, and any persons depicted in the video. Procedures for distribution of the video record must include safeguards to protect the identities of individuals who are not a party to the requested stop.
(6) Law enforcement agencies that receive moneys
under this grant shall provide for storage of the video records for a period of not less than 2 years.
(b) Each law enforcement agency receiving a grant for in-car video cameras under Section 10 of this Act must provide an annual report to the Board, the Governor, and the General Assembly on or before May 1 of the year following the receipt of the grant and by each May 1 thereafter during the period of the grant. The report shall include the following:
(1) the number of cameras received by the law
(2) the number of cameras actually installed in law
enforcement agency vehicles;
(3) a brief description of the review process used by
supervisors within the law enforcement agency;
(4) a list of any criminal, traffic, ordinance, and
civil cases in which in-car video recordings were used, including party names, case numbers, offenses charged, and disposition of the matter. Proceedings to which this paragraph (4) applies include, but are not limited to, court proceedings, coroner's inquests, grand jury proceedings, and plea bargains; and
(5) any other information relevant to the
administration of the program.
(Source: P.A. 99-352, eff. 1-1-16