|HB3531 Enrolled||LRB099 08897 HAF 29070 b|
AN ACT concerning regulation.
Be it enacted by the People of the State of Illinois,
represented in the General Assembly:
The Child Care Act of 1969 is amended by
changing Section 5.5 as follows:
(225 ILCS 10/5.5)
Smoking in day care facilities.
(a) The General Assembly finds and declares that:
(1) The U.S. government has determined that secondhand
tobacco smoke is a
major threat to public health for which
there is no safe level of exposure.
(2) The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency recently
secondhand tobacco smoke a Class A carcinogen,
ranking it with substances such
as asbestos and benzene.
(3) According to U.S. government figures, secondhand
tobacco smoke is
linked to the lung-cancer deaths of an
estimated 3,000 nonsmokers per year.
(4) Cigarette smoke is a special risk to children,
causing between 150,000
and 300,000 respiratory infections
each year in children under 18 months old,
between 200,000 and one million children with asthma.
(5) The health of the children of this State should not
compromised by needless exposure to secondhand tobacco