|SB3244 Enrolled||- 2 -||LRB097 16729 NHT 61903 b|
The School Code is amended by adding Section
2-3.156 as follows:
(105 ILCS 5/2-3.156 new)
Mathematics curriculum models.
(a) The State Board of Education shall, immediately
following the effective date of this amendatory Act of the 97th
General Assembly, coordinate the acquisition, adaptation, and
development of middle and high school mathematics curriculum
models to aid school districts and teachers in implementing
standards for all students. The acquisition, adaptation, and
development process shall include the input of representatives
of statewide educational organizations and stakeholders,
including without limitation all of the following:
(1) Representatives of a statewide mathematics
(2) Representatives of statewide teacher
(3) Representatives of statewide school administrator
(4) Experts in higher education mathematics
(5) Experts in curriculum design.
(6) Experts in professional development design.
(7) State education policymakers and advisors.
(8) A representative from the Department of Commerce
|SB3244 Enrolled||- 3 -||LRB097 16729 NHT 61903 b|
and Economic Opportunity.
(9) Higher education faculty.
(10) Representatives of statewide school board
(11) Representatives of statewide principal
(b) The curriculum models under this Section shall include
without limitation all of the following:
(1) Scope-and-sequence descriptions for middle and
high school mathematics progressions, building content and
skill acquisition across the grades.
(2) Recommendations of curricula for the final year of
mathematics or math-equivalent instruction before
(3) Sample lesson plans to illustrate instructional
materials and methods for specific standards.
(4) Model high school course designs that demonstrate
effective student pathways to mathematics-standards
attainment by graduation.
(5) Training programs for teachers and administrators,
to be made available in both traditional and electronic
formats for regional and local delivery.
(c) The curriculum models under this Section must be
completed no later than March 1, 2013.
(d) The curriculum models and training programs under this
Section must be made available to all school districts, which
|SB3244 Enrolled||- 4 -||LRB097 16729 NHT 61903 b|
may choose to adopt or adapt the models in lieu of developing
their own mathematics curricula. The Illinois P-20 Council
shall submit a report to the Governor and the General Assembly
on the extent and effect of utilization of the curriculum
models by school districts. Within 4 years after the effective
date of this amendatory Act of the 97th General Assembly, State
mathematics test results and higher education mathematics
remediation data must be used to gauge the effectiveness of
high school mathematics instruction and the extent of standards
attainment and be used to guide the continuous improvement of
the mathematics curriculum and instruction.