TITLE 92: TRANSPORTATION
CHAPTER II: SECRETARY OF STATE
PART 1060 COMMERCIAL DRIVER TRAINING SCHOOLS
SECTION 1060.130 EXAMINATION FOR DRIVER TRAINING INSTRUCTOR
Section 1060.130 Examination for Driver Training Instructor
a) Each individual desiring to be licensed as a driver training instructor for a specific driver training school, must pass a written test, traffic control test, vision test, and a driving test which will be offered by the Department at periodic intervals.
1) The written test shall consist of questions dealing with:
A) Chapter 625 of the Illinois Compiled Statutes;
B) Safe Driving Practices;
C) Operation of Motor Vehicles;
D) Teaching Methods; and
E) Commercial Driver Training Schools (92 Ill. Adm. Code 1060).
2) In order to pass the written test which consists of 100 true false and multiple choice questions, an individual shall answer at least 85 of the questions correctly.
3) The Department shall not issue a driver training instructor's license to any person who is physically unable to safely operate a motor vehicle or to safety instruct or train others in the operation of a motor vehicle as determined by a licensed physician pursuant to Section 6-411(d) of the Illinois Driver Licensing Law of the Illinois Vehicle Code [625 ILCS 5/6-411(d)]. The physician's medical report shall contain medical information which relates to the driver's medical ability to safely operate a motor vehicle. The form shall also contain an indication of the person's eyesight, hearing, mental alertness, reflexes, and whether the person has normal use of his limbs and feet. The physician must also provide his address and the date and place of the examination. Those persons who are solely classroom instructors shall comply with Section 1060.120(d) of this Part.
4) The individual shall not miss any questions on the official traffic control device test in order to pass the test.
5) Commercial driver accredited instructor applicants must take an additional written test which consists of 25 multiple choice and true/false questions, with a pass rate of 21.
b) Each applicant will be given a maximum of 3 opportunities in any 12 month period to pass the driver training instructor's examination. An applicant for a driver training instructor's license may be allowed to attempt the road test a second time in the same day during normal business hours of the Driver Services facility if he/she fails the first attempt to pass the road test. However, if the applicant demonstrates a danger to the public safety during his/her first attempt to pass a road test, he/she will not be allowed to make a second or subsequent attempt during the same day. An applicant will not be allowed to make a third attempt to pass a road test on the same day in which he/she failed the previous attempt. Individuals who have failed their third examination must wait at least 1 year from the date of the third failure before making a new application.
(Source: Amended at 43 Ill. Reg. 3857, effective March 8, 2019)