TITLE 89: SOCIAL SERVICES
CHAPTER IV: DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN SERVICES
SUBCHAPTER h: MISCELLANEOUS PROGRAMS
PART 886 CENTERS FOR INDEPENDENT LIVING
SECTION 886.30 PROGRAM DESCRIPTION
Section 886.30 Program Description
a) In order to further promote independence and full community participation of individuals with disabilities and individuals with significant disabilities in Illinois, DHS-DRS shall distribute State appropriated funds and Part B Funds received to eligible CILs in accordance with the Act and federal regulations at 35 CFR 364. Further, State appropriated funds may be used in addition to Part C Funds, which are not under DHS-DRS control, to establish new CILs.
b) CILs are consumer-controlled, community-based, cross-disability, nonresidential, private not-for-profit agencies for individuals with significant disabilities (regardless of age or income) that:
1) receive State and/or federal funds to provide an array of Independent Living Services, as defined in the Act, including at a minimum, Independent Living Core Services;
2) are designed and operated within a local community by a majority of individuals with disabilities;
3) comply with the standards set out in section 725 of the Act; and
4) are governed by a board of directors that is composed of a majority of individuals who are individuals with disabilities and employ, in management and decision making positions, a majority of individuals who are individuals with disabilities.
c) The DSE is the agency that, on behalf of the State, receives, accounts for and disburses grants, funding received under Part B of the Act, and State appropriated funding to a CIL. The DSE will ensure both federal and State funds are expended properly by:
1) requiring monthly, quarterly and annual reporting from the CILs;
2) conducting on-site compliance reviews of the CILs; and
3) providing technical assistance for, and ongoing monitoring of, contracts entered into by CILs to obtain State and federal grant funding.
(Source: Amended at 44 Ill. Reg. 2808, effective January 31, 2020)