TITLE 89: SOCIAL SERVICES
CHAPTER III: DEPARTMENT OF CHILDREN AND FAMILY SERVICES
SUBCHAPTER e: REQUIREMENTS FOR LICENSURE
PART 409 LICENSING STANDARDS FOR YOUTH TRANSITIONAL HOUSING PROGRAMS
SECTION 409.220 SUPERVISION OF RESIDENTS
Section 409.220 Supervision of Residents
a) Administrative Coverage
The YTHP shall not be left at any time, or under any circumstances, without a properly designated, administratively responsible person on the premises. The designated administratively responsible person may be an YTHP supervisor with the administrator, or someone designated by the administrator, to be on call.
b) Staff Coverage
1) At all times that there are one through 7 or more homeless youth in the program, the program shall maintain a minimum staff/youth ratio of one staff person per 8 youth.
2) Overnight staff coverage for YTHP housing more than 16 homeless youth may maintain two staff persons in the facility and one person on call.
3) The responsible staff shall meet to determine the supervision requirements of the specific population as necessary by changes in that population. When the governing body or organization determines that one staff person per 8 homeless youth or two staff and one on call for overnight is not sufficient to carry out the goals and objectives of the YTHP, additional staff, or other staff who meet the qualifications of YTHP staff as prescribed in Section 409.140, shall be on duty.
4) The responsible staff shall meet to determine the supervision requirements of the specific population as necessary by changes in that population. When 2 YTHP staff is not sufficient to carry out the goals and objectives of the shelter or housing program, additional staff or other staff who meet the qualifications of YTHP staff as prescribed in Section 409.140 shall be on duty.
5) Decisions regarding the need for additional staff shall be documented and available for review upon request. Other staff shall perform YTHP staff duties only when their other assignments and time allow.
c) When an emergency arises such as injury that necessitates taking the homeless youth to the hospital, or any other emergency, the individual agency or organization under whose auspices the YTHP operates is responsible for assuring appropriate staff coverage. If staff on call is used they shall meet the requirements of YTHP staff.
d) During the absence of regular YTHP staff for time off, vacations, sick leave or any other absence (such as attendance at conferences or meetings), substitute YTHP staff must be provided. These substitutes shall meet the requirements of YTHP staff as specified in Section 409.140.
e) In instances where the YTHP operates under a "shift" staffing pattern, night duty staff shall be awake and alert to assure protection and supervision of the YTHP residents in care.
f) When the YTHP operates in a facility serving homeless of the community, the sleeping quarters of the YTHP youth shall be separate from the sleeing quarters of the residents 21 years and older in the facility.
g) When the YTHP operates in a facility serving homeless of the community, the YTHP staff or volunteers shall ensure that the residents 21 years and older of the facility and the YTHP youth are maintained separate from each other.
h) When YTHP operates in a licensed child welfare facility, the sleeping quarters of the YTHP youth shall be separate from the sleeping quarters of the residents in the licensed facility.