TITLE 89: SOCIAL SERVICES
CHAPTER III: DEPARTMENT OF CHILDREN AND FAMILY SERVICES
SUBCHAPTER e: REQUIREMENTS FOR LICENSURE
PART 406 LICENSING STANDARDS FOR DAY CARE HOMES
SECTION 406.15 GUIDANCE AND DISCIPLINE
Section 406.15 Guidance and Discipline
a) The caregiver shall use disciplinary measures designed and carried out in such a way as to help individual children develop self-control and assume responsibility for their own acts.
1) The caregiver shall establish simple, understandable rules so that expectations and limitations are clear to the child.
2) Discipline shall not be out of proportion to the particular inappropriate behavior.
3) Discipline shall be related to the child's act and shall be handled immediately by the adult involved so the child is aware of the relationship between acts and consequences.
4) Removal from the group to help a child gain control shall not exceed one minute per year of age. Removal from the group shall not be used for children less than 24 months of age.
b) No child shall be subjected to extreme punishment.
1) No child shall be subjected to physical punishment, nor can shaming, frightening, or humiliating methods be used.
2) There shall be no verbal abuse, threats, or derogatory remarks about the child or the child's family.
3) Depriving a child of meals or any part of meals shall never be used as punishment.
4) No child shall be punished for toilet accidents.
c) Expulsion due to a child's repeated pattern of challenging behavior is prohibited. Planned transitions to settings better able to meet the child's needs are not considered expulsions.
(Source: Amended at 44 Ill. Reg. 16116, effective September 18, 2020)