TITLE 89: SOCIAL SERVICES
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF HEALTHCARE AND FAMILY SERVICES
SUBCHAPTER d: MEDICAL PROGRAMS
PART 148 HOSPITAL SERVICES
SECTION 148.150 PUBLIC LAW 103-66 REQUIREMENTS
Section 148.150 Public Law 103-66 Requirements
a) All cost reporting hospitals are required to submit annually, on or before August 15 of the rate year in a form or format specified by the Department, at least the following information separated by inpatient and outpatient (including hospital-based clinic services) to the Department:
1) The dollar amount of Illinois Medicaid charges rendered in the base year.
2) The dollar amount of hospital charity care charges rendered in the base year for uninsured patients.
3) The dollar amount of hospital bad debt, less any recoveries, rendered in the base year for uninsured patients.
4) The dollar amount of Illinois total hospital charges for care rendered in the base year.
1) "Medicaid charges" means hospital charges for inpatient, outpatient and hospital-based clinic services provided to recipients of medical assistance under Title XIX of the Social Security Act.
2) "Total charges" means the total amount of a hospital's charges for inpatient, outpatient and hospital-based clinic services it has provided.
3) "Base year" means the hospital's cost reporting period, utilized in the current rate year disproportionate share determination, and as described in Section 148.120(i)(1).
4) "Hospital charity care charges" and "hospital bad debt" mean inpatient, outpatient and hospital clinic services provided to individuals without health insurance or other sources of third party coverage. For purposes of the previous statement in this subsection (b)(4), State or unit of local government payments made to a hospital on behalf of indigent patients is not considered to be a form of insurance or a source of third-party coverage. Therefore, unreimbursed charges for persons covered under these programs may be included. Charity care charges and bad debt cannot include unpaid co-pays or third party obligations of insured patients, contractual allowances, or the hospital's charges or reduced charges attributable to services provided under its obligation pursuant to the federal Hill-Burton Act (42 USC 291).
(Source: Amended at 38 Ill. Reg. 15165, effective July 2, 2014)