TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER XV: DEPARTMENT OF FINANCIAL AND PROFESSIONAL REGULATION
PART 3100 ILLINOIS CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES ACT
SECTION 3100.400 REQUIREMENT OF PRESCRIPTION FOR SCHEDULE II CONTROLLED SUBSTANCES
Section 3100.400 Requirement of Prescription for Schedule II Controlled Substances
a) A pharmacist may fill a Schedule II controlled substance prescription upon a written or electronic prescription that conforms with the requirements of Section 311.5 or 312 of the Act, respectively, and the requirements of this Part.
b) An individual practitioner may administer or dispense directly a controlled substance listed in Schedule II in the course of his or her professional practice subject to the Act and this Part.
c) Changes in a Prescription
1) A pharmacist may not change the following components of a prescription for a Schedule II controlled substance:
A) Date written, or add the date;
B) Name of the patient;
C) Name of the prescriber, or add a signature; and
D) Name of the drug.
2) Any other components of a prescription for a Schedule II controlled substance may be changed after consultation with the prescriber.
d) In an emergency situation, as defined by subsection (e), a pharmacist, in accordance with requirements in 21 CFR 1306.11(d) (April 1, 2014) and Section 309 of the Act, may fill an oral prescription for a Schedule II controlled substance.
e) For the purposes of authorizing an oral prescription of a controlled substance listed in Schedule II of the Act, the term "emergency situation" means those situations in which the prescribing practitioner determines that:
1) Immediate administration of the controlled substance is necessary for proper treatment of the intended ultimate user;
2) No appropriate alternative treatment is available, including administration of a drug that is not a controlled substance under Schedule II of the Act; and
3) It is not reasonably possible for the prescribing practitioner to provide a written prescription to be presented to the person dispensing the substance, prior to the dispensing.
f) Notwithstanding any other provision in this Section, prescriptions for Schedule II controlled substances may be sent to a pharmacy via facsimile in accordance with Section 313 of the Act.
(Source: Amended at 39 Ill. Reg. 3656, effective February 27, 2015)