TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER k: COMMUNICABLE DISEASE CONTROL AND IMMUNIZATIONS
PART 690 CONTROL OF COMMUNICABLE DISEASES CODE
SECTION 690.601 RABIES, POTENTIAL HUMAN EXPOSURE AND ANIMAL RABIES (REPORTABLE BY TELEPHONE OR FACSIMILE, WITHIN 24 HOURS)
Section 690.601 Rabies, Potential Human Exposure and Animal Rabies (Reportable by telephone or facsimile, within 24 hours)
a) Reporting of Rabies, Potential Human Exposure
Definition of exposed person to be reported:
1) Any contact (bite or non-bite) to a bat; or
2) Any contact (bite or non-bite) from a rabies positive animal to a person; or
3) Anyone who was started on rabies post-exposure prophylaxis; or
4) Exposure to saliva from a bite, or contact of any abrasion or mucous membrane with brain tissue, saliva or cerebrospinal fluid from a suspect rabid person or animal. Exposure to healthy rabbits, small rodents, indoor-only domestic pets or rabies-vaccinated dogs, cats or ferrets is excluded, unless the exposure complies with subsections (a)(1) through (a)(3), or the animal displays signs consistent with rabies; or
5) Any bite from a wild mammal, not including small rodents or rabbits; or
6) Anyone who was in the same room as a bat and who might be unaware that a bite or direct contact has occurred (e.g., a sleeping person awakens to find a bat in the room or an adult witnesses a bat in the room with a previously unattended child, mentally disabled person, or intoxicated person) and rabies cannot be ruled out by testing the bat; or
7) Anyone bitten by a non-human primate.
The local health authority shall promptly investigate all known instances of potential rabies exposure to determine whether rabies post-exposure prophylaxis for the exposed person should be recommended.
c) Control of Biting Animals
See the Animal Control Act.
d) Reporting Animal Rabies
Any positive animal rabies test results shall be reported to both the Department and the Department of Agriculture.
(Source: Amended at 38 Ill. Reg. 5533, effective February 11, 2014)