TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER k: COMMUNICABLE DISEASE CONTROL AND IMMUNIZATIONS
PART 690 CONTROL OF COMMUNICABLE DISEASES CODE
SECTION 690.320 ANTHRAX (REPORTABLE BY TELEPHONE IMMEDIATELY, WITHIN THREE HOURS, UPON INITIAL CLINICAL SUSPICION OF THE DISEASE)
Section 690.320 Anthrax (Reportable by telephone immediately, within three hours, upon initial clinical suspicion of the disease)
a) Control of Case
1) Standard precautions shall be followed. Contact precautions shall be followed for care of persons with cutaneous anthrax when dressing does not adequately contain drainage.
2) A search shall be made for history of exposure to infected animals or animal products and traced to the place of origin. The reporting of exposures other than from infected animals or animal products shall follow the reportable guidelines for suspect bioterrorist threat or event (see Section 690.800). The Department will refer information about exposures indicating a domestic animal source within the United States to the Illinois Department of Agriculture.
3) All anthrax cases shall be reviewed carefully for consideration of a bioterrorist event.
b) Control of Contacts
c) Laboratory Reporting
1) Laboratories shall report to the local health authority patients who have a positive or suspect positive result on any laboratory test indicative of and specific for detecting Bacillus anthracis infection.
2) Laboratories shall forward clinical materials suspected to be positive for Bacillus anthracis to the Department's laboratory.
3) Laboratories shall report and submit to the Department's laboratory any food, animal or environmental test results positive for Bacillus anthracis from a case or outbreak investigation.
(Source: Amended at 38 Ill. Reg. 5533, effective February 11, 2014)