TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER c: LONG-TERM CARE FACILITIES
PART 380 SPECIALIZED MENTAL HEALTH REHABILITATION FACILITIES CODE
SECTION 380.550 CONTACTING LOCAL LAW ENFORCEMENT
Section 380.550 Contacting Local Law Enforcement
a) For the purpose of this Section, the following definitions shall apply:
1) 911 − an emergency answer and response system in which the caller need only dial 9-1-1 on a telephone to obtain emergency services, including police, fire, medical ambulance and rescue.
2) Sexual abuse − sexual penetration, intentional sexual touching or fondling, or sexual exploitation (i.e., use of an individual for another person's sexual gratification, arousal, advantage or profit).
b) The facility shall immediately contact local law enforcement authorities (e.g., telephoning 911 where available) in the following situations:
1) Physical abuse involving physical injury inflicted on a consumer by a staff member or visitor;
2) Physical abuse involving serious physical injury inflicted on a consumer by another consumer;
3) Sexual abuse of a consumer by a staff member, another consumer, or a visitor;
4) Misappropriation or financial exploitation of a consumer's property; or
5) When a crime has been committed in a facility by a person other than a consumer.
c) When a consumer death other than by natural causes has occurred, the facility shall call the coroner or medical examiner.
d) The facility shall develop and implement a written policy concerning local law enforcement notification, including:
1) Ensuring the safety of consumers in situations requiring local law enforcement notification;
2) Contacting local law enforcement in situations involving physical abuse of a consumer by another consumer or staff;
3) Contacting police, fire, ambulance and rescue services in accordance with recommended procedure;
4) Preservation of a potential crime scene; and
5) Facility investigation of the situation.
e) Facility staff shall be trained in implementing the policy developed pursuant to subsection (d). The training shall be documented.
f) The facility shall also comply with other reporting requirements of this Part.