TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER c: LONG-TERM CARE FACILITIES
PART 370 COMMUNITY LIVING FACILITIES CODE
SECTION 370.1630 LAUNDRY SERVICES
Section 370.1630 Laundry Services
a) Every facility shall have an effective means of supplying an adequate amount of clean linen for operation, either through an in-house laundry, a contract with an outside service, or each resident doing his or her own laundry as a part of a training program.
b) An adequate supply of clean linen shall be defined as the three sets of sheets, pillow cases and other linens needed to meet the needs of the residents. Additional changes of linen may be required in consideration of laundering and transporting soiled linens.
c) If an in-house laundry service is provided, then the following conditions shall exist:
1) Whether the laundry is done by each resident on his or her own or a staff member, the laundry area shall be maintained and operated in a clean, safe and sanitary manner.
2) Written operating procedures shall be developed, posted and implemented which provide for the handling, transport and storage of clean and soiled linens.
3) If the facility provides staff to do the laundry, then such laundry personnel must be in good health and practice good personal grooming. Employees must thoroughly wash their hands and exposed portions of their arms with soap and warm water before starting work, during work as often as necessary to keep them clean and after smoking, eating, drinking, using the toilet and handling soiled linens.
4) Clean linen shall be protected from contamination during handling, transport and storage.
5) Soiled linen shall be handled, transported and stored in a manner that protects facility residents and personnel.
6) The laundry and its accessary storage and handling areas shall not be used as a storage area for supplies not directly connected with the operation of the laundry.
d) If an outside laundry service is used, it shall provide for protection of clean linens during transport back to the facility.
e) If the facility provides laundry service for residents' personal clothing, it must be handled, transported and stored in a manner that will not allow contamination of clean linen or allow contamination by soiled linen.