TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER c: LONG-TERM CARE FACILITIES
PART 330 SHELTERED CARE FACILITIES CODE
SECTION 330.3670 BEDROOMS
Section 330.3670 Bedrooms
a) Every existing facility shall meet the following requirements for bedrooms:
1) Each single bedroom for a resident shall have at least 60 square feet of floor area not including any space taken up by closets. Facilities established after January 1, 1958, shall provide 70 square feet for a single room.
2) Each multiple bedroom used for residents shall have at least 60 square feet of floor area, not including any space taken up by closets, for each resident's bed. There shall be a three foot minimum distance between beds.
b) All bedrooms shall meet the following requirements:
1) No more than four residents shall share a bedroom, regardless of its size.
2) Each bedroom shall be provided with a door and have the furniture in the room so arranged, even if it reduces the bed capacity of the room, so that the bed, bedside stand, and chair for each resident will be reasonably well arranged. Beds shall not be located near radiators, registers, nor sources of drafts.
3) No room which opens into the kitchen shall be used as a resident bedroom.
4) No rooms shall be used as resident bedrooms which necessitate passing through a kitchen to reach any other part of the facility.
5) Occupancy of bedrooms shall be such that residents of one sex will not pass through a bedroom for the opposite sex to reach any part of the facility.
6) Each bedroom shall have adequate and satisfactory artificial light and be equipped with at least one duplex electric convenience outlet. Electric cords shall not be strung from a ceiling fixture. There shall be an electric switch near the door in each bedroom to control at least one light in the room. (B)
7) Each bedroom shall be an outside room and have window glass area equal to at least ten percent of the usable floor area. This window area shall provide an amount of light equivalent to that provided by an unobstructed window.
8) Rooms with a floor more than three feet below the adjacent ground level shall not be used for resident bedrooms.
9) Bedroom doors shall have no hardware that will allow the resident to lock himself in the room. The door may be keyed on the corridor side to prevent others from entering the room. (B)
(Source: Amended at 13 Ill. Reg. 6562, effective April 17, 1989)