TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER c: LONG-TERM CARE FACILITIES
PART 300 SKILLED NURSING AND INTERMEDIATE CARE FACILITIES CODE
SECTION 300.696 INFECTION CONTROL
Section 300.696 Infection Control
a) Each facility shall establish and follow policies and procedures for investigating, controlling, and preventing infections in the facility. The policies and procedures must be consistent with and include the requirements of the Control of Communicable Diseases Code, and the Control of Sexually Transmissible Infections Code. Each facility shall monitor activities to ensure that these policies and procedures are followed.
b) A group, i.e., an infection control committee, quality assurance committee, or other facility entity, shall periodically review the results of investigations and activities to control infections.
c) Each facility shall adhere to the following guidelines and toolkits of the Center for Infectious Diseases, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, United States Public Health Service, Department of Health and Human Services, and Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (see Section 300.340):
1) Guideline for Prevention of Catheter-Associated Urinary Tract Infections
2) Guideline for Hand Hygiene in Health-Care Settings
3) Guidelines for Prevention of Intravascular Catheter-Related Infections
4) Guideline for Prevention of Surgical Site Infection
5) Guideline for Prevention of Nosocomial Pneumonia
6) Guideline for Isolation Precautions: Transmission of Infectious Agents in Healthcare Settings
7) Guideline for Infection Control in Healthcare Personnel
8) The Core Elements of Antibiotic Stewardship for Nursing Homes
9) The Core Elements of Antibiotic Stewardship for Nursing Homes, Appendix A: Policy and Practice Actions to Improve Antibiotic Use
10) Nursing Home Antimicrobial Stewardship Guide
11) Toolkit 3. Minimum Criteria for Common Infections Toolkit
d) The facility shall establish an infection prevention and control program (IPCP) that includes, at a minimum, an antibiotic stewardship program that includes antibiotic use protocols and a system to monitor antibiotic use.
(Source: Amended at 45 Ill. Reg. 11096, effective August 27, 2021)