TITLE 77: PUBLIC HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC HEALTH
SUBCHAPTER b: HOSPITAL AND AMBULATORY CARE FACILITIES
PART 205 AMBULATORY SURGICAL TREATMENT CENTER LICENSING REQUIREMENTS
SECTION 205.1780 EMERGENCY ELECTRIC SERVICE
Section 205.1780 Emergency Electric Service
a) An emergency source of electricity shall be provided.
b) Ambulatory surgical treatment centers that do not administer inhalation anesthetics in any concentration, or that have no patients requiring electrical life-support equipment, shall be permitted to use a battery system for emergency power. The following are required:
1) Illumination of means of egress as required in NFPA 101;
2) Illumination of procedure and recovery rooms;
3) Illumination of exit and exit directional signs; and
4) Fire alarm and alarms required for nonflammable medical gas systems, if nonflammable medical gas systems are installed.
c) Ambulatory surgical treatment centers in which inhalation anesthetics are administered in any concentration to patients or that have patients requiring electrically operated or mechanical life support devices shall be provided with an emergency generator. This generator shall supply a limited amount of lighting and power service that is essential for life safety and orderly cessation of a procedure during the time normal service is interrupted for any reason. The maximum time of automatic transfer is 10 seconds. The following are required:
1) Task illumination that is related to the safety of life and that is necessary for the safe cessation of procedures in progress;
2) All anesthesia and resuscitative equipment used in areas where inhalation anesthetics are administered to patients must include alarms and alerting devices;
3) Illumination of means of egress as required in the NFPA 101;
4) Illumination of exit and directional signs;
5) Fire alarm and nonflammable medical gas system alarms, if nonflammable medical gas systems are installed; and
6) General illumination and selected receptacles in the vicinity of the generator set.
(Source: Amended at 34 Ill. Reg. 7915, effective May 25, 2010)