TITLE 68: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
CHAPTER VII: DEPARTMENT OF FINANCIAL AND PROFESSIONAL REGULATION
SUBCHAPTER b: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
PART 1505 CERTIFIED VETERINARY TECHNICIANS
SECTION 1505.55 CONTINUING EDUCATION
Section 1505.55 Continuing Education
a) Continuing Education Hours Requirements
1) Each person who applies for renewal of a certified veterinary technician certificate is required to complete 15 hours of CE relevant to veterinary medicine and surgery during the prerenewal period.
2) A prerenewal period is the 24 months preceding the expiration date of the certification.
3) A renewal applicant is not required to comply with CE requirements for the first renewal following the original issuance of the certificate.
4) CE credit hours used to satisfy the CE requirements of another state may be applied to fulfillment of the CE requirements of the State of Illinois.
5) CE credit hours used to satisfy this requirement may be achieved through self study courses offered by an approved provider.
b) Approved CE Providers
1) CE credit may be earned for verified attendance at or participation in any program given by one of the following:
A) An approved certified veterinary program, as provided in 68 Ill. Adm. Code 1500.5, or a certified veterinary technician program;
B) The American Veterinary Medical Association Committee on Veterinary Technician Education and Activities (CVTEA);
C) The Illinois State Veterinary Medical Association or any other state or provincial veterinary medical association or any of its constituent organizations;
D) The American Animal Hospital Association;
E) National Registry of Approved Continuing Education (RACE) of the American Association of Veterinary State Boards (AAVSB);
F) Programs provided by, or appropriate for, veterinary specialty organizations; and
G) United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) or any organization approved by USDA to offer the USDA Recertification Course.
2) Courses Requirements
A) All courses or programs shall:
i) Be a minimum of 1 hour in duration. An hour is defined as 50 to 60 minutes of contact time;
ii) Contribute to the advancement, extension and enhancement of professional skills and/or scientific knowledge in the practice of veterinarian medicine;
iii) Provide experiences that contain scientific integrity, relevant subject matter and course materials;
iv) Be developed and presented by persons with education and/or experience in the subject matter of the program; and
v) Specify the number of CE hours that may be applied toward Illinois CE requirements for certificate renewal.
B) The Division may periodically review approved providers to ensure compliance.
c) The certificate holder shall maintain CE records for 4 years.
d) Certification of Compliance with CE Requirements
1) Each renewal applicant shall certify, on a renewal application, full compliance with the CE requirements set forth in subsection (a).
2) The Division may require additional evidence demonstrating compliance with CE requirements. It is the responsibility of each renewal applicant to retain or otherwise produce evidence of compliance.
e) Continuing Education Earned in Other Jurisdictions
1) If an individual has earned or is seeking CE hours offered in another jurisdiction for a program not approved by the Division for which the individual will be claiming credit toward full compliance in Illinois, the applicant shall submit an individual program approval request form, along with a $25 processing fee, prior to participation in the program or within 90 days prior to expiration of the certificate. The Board shall review and recommend approval or disapproval of the program using the criteria set forth in this Section.
2) If an individual fails to submit an out-of-state CE approval form within the required time frame, late approval may be obtained by submitting the approval request form with the $25 processing fee plus a $50 per hour of CE late fee not to exceed $250. The Board shall review and recommend approval or disapproval of the program using the criteria set forth in this Section.
f) Waiver of CE Requirements
1) Any renewal applicant seeking renewal of a certificate without having fully complied with these CE requirements shall file with the Division a renewal application, a statement setting forth the facts concerning noncompliance, a request for waiver of the CE requirements on the basis of those facts and, if desired, a request for an interview before the Board. If the Division finds from the statement or any other evidence submitted, that good cause has been shown for granting a waiver of the CE requirements, or any part thereof, the Division shall waive enforcement of CE requirements for the renewal period for which the applicant has applied. At that time, the renewal applicant will be requested to submit the required renewal fee.
2) Good cause shall be defined as an inability to devote sufficient hours to fulfilling the CE requirements during the applicable prerenewal period because of:
A) Full time service in the armed forces of the United States of America during a substantial part of the prerenewal period;
B) An incapacitating illness; or
C) Undue hardship (e.g., prolonged hospitalization, being disabled or unable to practice as a certified veterinary technician for a majority of the duration of the renewal cycle) as determined by the Board. Every attempt should be made by the applicant to comply with CE through self-study.
3) If an interview is requested at the time the request for waiver is filed with the Division, the renewal applicant shall be given at least 20 days written notice of the date, time and place of the interview by certified mail, return receipt requested.
(Source: Amended at 40 Ill. Reg. 2936, effective February 16, 2016)