TITLE 68: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
CHAPTER VII: DEPARTMENT OF FINANCIAL AND PROFESSIONAL REGULATION
SUBCHAPTER b: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
PART 1251 GENETIC COUNSELOR LICENSING ACT
SECTION 1251.100 CONTINUING EDUCATION
Section 1251.100 Continuing Education
a) Continuing Education Hour Requirements
1) Every renewal applicant shall complete 30 contact hours of continuing education (CE) relevant to the practice of genetic counseling during the pre-renewal period. A pre-renewal period is the 24 months preceding January 31 of each odd-numbered year.
2) A renewal applicant is not required to comply with CE requirements for the first renewal following the original issuance of the license.
3) Genetic Counselors licensed in Illinois but residing and practicing in other states must comply with the CE requirements set forth in this Section.
b) Approved Continuing Education
1) All continuing education hours must be earned by verified attendance at, or participation in, a program that is offered by an approved continuing education sponsor who meets the requirements set forth in subsection (c) of this Section. Verified attendance can include participation in programs offered online by approved CE sponsors.
2) Continuing education credit hours used to satisfy the CE requirements of another state may be submitted for approval for fulfillment of CE requirements of the State of Illinois.
3) Credit shall not be given for courses taken in Illinois from unapproved sponsors.
c) Approved continuing education sponsors and programs, as used in this Section, shall mean:
1) The American Counseling Association;
2) The American Board of Genetic Counselors;
3) The American Board of Medical Genetics;
4) The National Society of Genetic Counselors (NSGC); or
5) Any other entity approved by the Division.
(Source: Amended at 45 Ill. Reg. 1814, effective January 28, 2021)