TITLE 68: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
CHAPTER VII: DEPARTMENT OF FINANCIAL AND PROFESSIONAL REGULATION
SUBCHAPTER b: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
PART 1250 FUNERAL DIRECTORS AND EMBALMERS LICENSING CODE
SECTION 1250.220 CONTINUING EDUCATION
Section 1250.220 Continuing Education
a) Continuing Education Hour Requirements
1) Every funeral director and embalmer renewal applicant shall complete 24 CE hours relevant to the practice of funeral directing and embalming during each prerenewal period. The 24 CE hours shall include a minimum of 6 interactive CE hours related to the practice of funeral directing and a minimum of 6 interactive CE hours related to the practice of embalming. No more than 6 CE hours may consist of insurance courses.
2) Every funeral director renewal applicant shall complete 12 CE hours relevant to the practice of funeral directing during each prerenewal period. No more than 3 CE hours may consist of insurance courses.
3) The Division shall conduct random audits to verify CE compliance.
4) A renewal applicant is not required to comply with CE requirements for the first renewal following the original issuance of the license.
5) Funeral directors and embalmers licensed in Illinois but residing and practicing in other states must comply with the CE requirements set forth in this Section.
b) Activities for which CE credit may be earned are as follows:
1) Verified attendance at a CE course or participation in a program given by a licensed CE sponsor.
2) A maximum of 6 CE hours for funeral directors or 12 CE hours for funeral directors and embalmers per prerenewal period for:
A) Personal preparation of an educational presentation pertaining to funeral directing and/or embalming that is orally delivered before recognized funeral directing and embalming organizations;
B) Writing and publishing articles regarding funeral directing or embalming in nationally recognized funeral directing and embalming journals;
C) Writing a chapter in a book pertaining to funeral directing or embalming; or
D) Completing self-study courses taken through an accredited college or university or an approved CE sponsor. The self-study courses shall include an examination that:
i) Tests the licensee's skills and is of sufficient depth that answers are not readily apparent and have not been provided to the licensee by the CE sponsor or anyone else.
ii) Is crafted to prevent licensees from obtaining unearned credit.
3) A licensee who serves as an instructor, speaker or discussion leader of an approved CE course will be allowed CE course credit for actual presentation time, plus actual preparation time of up to 2 hours for each hour of presentation. Preparation time shall not be allowed for repetitious presentations of the same course and will only be allowed for additional study or research. In no case shall credit for actual time of presentation and preparation be given for more than 6 CE hours for funeral directors or 12 CE hours for funeral directors and embalmers during any prerenewal period.
4) A maximum of 24 CE hours shall be accepted for CE courses completed at an accredited college or university. One semester hour shall equal 8 CE hours. One quarter hour shall equal 6 CE hours.
5) A CE hour means a minimum of 50 minutes of actual attendance at, and completion of, an approved CE course. One-half CE credits (equal to 25 minutes) are permitted after the first credit has been earned.
6) A CE course shall not be presented during a dinner or social function. The dinner or social function must be concluded before the CE course commences or be held after the CE course is completed. If the CE course is held after the dinner or social function commences, no alcohol may be served.
7) Credit will not be given for activities that are not included in this subsection (b).
c) CE Format
1) Interactive CE
A) Interactive CE means classroom courses or CE that uses interactive learning methodologies that simulate the classroom learning process by employing computer software, other technology or administrative systems that provide significant, ongoing, interactive feedback to the learner regarding his or her learning process.
B) A minimum of 12 CE hours per renewal period shall be interactive.
2) Non-Interactive CE
Non-interactive CE does not employ interactive features. Examples include videos, books and audiotapes.
d) Certification of Compliance with Continuing Education Requirements
1) Each licensee shall certify, on the renewal application, full compliance with the CE requirements set forth in this Section.
2) The Division may require additional evidence of compliance in the context of the Division's random audit.
e) Continuing Education Earned in Other Jurisdictions
If a licensee has earned CE hours in another jurisdiction not given by an approved CE sponsor for which the licensee will be claiming credit toward full compliance in Illinois, the licensee shall submit an individual program approval request form, along with a $25 processing fee, prior to participation in the CE course or within 90 days prior to expiration of the license. The Division shall review and recommend approval or disapproval of the program using the criteria set forth in Section 1250.230(c).
1) Licensees who properly received the 40-year exemption by January 1, 2016, as set forth in Section 5-15 of the Code, are exempt from CE requirements.
2) A licensee may request an exemption from the CE requirements if:
A) The licensee is on full-time active duty in the military service of the United States, or is a licensee who is called to temporary active duty in the military service or state militia for a period of time exceeding 120 consecutive days during the prerenewal period, when that activity restricts participation in CE; or
B) The licensee demonstrates to the satisfaction of the Division that meeting these requirements would constitute undue hardship by reason of disability, illness or other clearly mitigating circumstances. The supporting documentation shall include a sworn statement by the licensee, a statement from a physician, or medical records that show the disability, illness or circumstance prevented the licensee's participation in CE during a substantial part of the prerenewal period. If good cause has been shown, the Division shall waive disciplinary action and extend the time within which the licensee shall comply. In cases of noncompliance by reason of advanced age or serious health conditions lasting a substantial part of the prerenewal period, disciplinary action shall not be waived for more than one prerenewal period.
3) Any licensee who, prior to the expiration date of the license, submits a request for exemption under this Section shall be deemed to be in good standing until the Division's decision on the request has been made.
4) Any licensee who submits a request for exemption that is denied may then request the license be placed on inactive status. The licensee shall comply with CE requirements prior to restoration of the license from inactive status, in accordance with Section 1250.160.
(Source: Amended at 41 Ill. Reg. 11361, effective September 8, 2017)