TITLE 68: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
CHAPTER VII: DEPARTMENT OF FINANCIAL AND PROFESSIONAL REGULATION
SUBCHAPTER b: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
PART 1250 FUNERAL DIRECTORS AND EMBALMERS LICENSING CODE
SECTION 1250.130 INTERNSHIP REQUIREMENTS
Section 1250.130 Internship Requirements
a) A licensed funeral director and embalmer who agrees to sponsor an intern shall be responsible for teaching the intern the practical aspects of the profession, for demonstrating actual procedures and for directing and supervising the procedures performed by the intern.
b) The intern shall be given primary responsibility for:
1) Assisting or participating in the arrangement of at least 24 funerals, including completing the necessary documentation;
2) Assisting in the arrangement of a selection room, including buying, pricing, providing a description of each casket and other pertinent information;
3) Assisting in the preparation and embalming of at least 24 deceased human bodies, including cosmetic application, dressing and casketing. If possible, at least one of the bodies should have been autopsied; and
4) Removals of deceased human bodies.
c) The intern shall submit a case report, on forms provided by the Division, for each of the required 24 funerals and 24 body preparations set forth in subsection (b).
1) 12 case reports shall be submitted every 3 months during the 12-month internship.
2) If the intern has not completed a total of 12 cases in the 3-month period or submitted case reports more than a quarter late, the intern shall submit the case reports for the cases completed and state the reason why the intern was unable to complete all 12 cases or why case reports were late (e.g., lack of available cases, illness, change of ownership).
3) All case reports shall be signed by the intern and the licensed funeral director and embalmer sponsor.
d) The Division has the authority to investigate and question the sponsor and the intern to determine compliance with this Section.
e) An intern may complete the internship under more than one licensed funeral director and embalmer and must complete a change of sponsor application, on forms provided by the Division, within one month after the change.
f) Upon completion of the 12 months of internship, the sponsor shall complete an affidavit, on forms provided by the Division, stating that the intern has satisfactorily completed the appropriate procedures under the sponsor's direction and supervision.
g) If a funeral director and embalmer intern licensee has not yet completed the 12-month internship or passed the examination within two sequential renewals, the intern shall reapply to the Division under the Code and this Part. No credit will be allowed for any examinations the intern previously passed or for any internship the intern previously earned. An intern who has renewed twice shall not reapply for an intern license until passing the examination set forth in Section 1250.140.
h) If, at the time of application for a funeral director and embalmer license, more than 5 years have lapsed since the completion of the intern's 12-month internship, the applicant shall be required to complete additional education or case reports as determined by the Division.
(Source: Amended at 41 Ill. Reg. 11361, effective September 8, 2017)