TITLE 68: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
CHAPTER VII: DEPARTMENT OF FINANCIAL AND PROFESSIONAL REGULATION
SUBCHAPTER b: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
PART 1250 FUNERAL DIRECTORS AND EMBALMERS LICENSING CODE
SECTION 1250.110 APPROVED PROGRAMS OF MORTUARY SCIENCE
Section 1250.110 Approved Programs of Mortuary Science
a) The Department of Financial and Professional Regulation-Division of Professional Regulation (Division) may approve a program of mortuary science if it meets the following:
1) Is legally recognized and authorized, by the jurisdiction in which it is located, to provide courses in mortuary science;
2) Has a faculty with sufficient instructors to ensure that the educational obligations to students are fulfilled. The faculty must demonstrate competence in their areas of teaching as evidenced by appropriate degrees from recognized professional colleges or institutions;
3) Maintains permanent student records that summarize the credentials for admission, attendance, grades and other records of performance; and
4) Has one of the following courses of study:
A) A minimum of 12 months with at least the following curriculum:
ii) Restorative Art;
viii) Funeral Directing;
ix) Mortuary Law;
x) Clinical Embalming;
xi) Funeral Merchandising; and
B) That results in an associate degree in mortuary science or an equivalent associate degree (i.e., applied science), consisting of courses in liberal arts and sciences and the curriculum set forth in subsection (a)(4)(A); or
C) That results in a baccalaureate degree in mortuary science.
b) In determining whether a program of mortuary science should be approved, the Division may consider accreditation by the American Board of Funeral Service Education, Inc.
c) All programs of mortuary science accredited by the American Board of Funeral Service Education, Inc. as of January 1, 2003 are approved.
d) An applicant from an unapproved program of mortuary science shall provide documentation concerning the criteria in this Section and thereafter the Division shall evaluate the program of mortuary science for approval.
e) Withdrawal of Approval
1) The Director of the Department of Financial and Professional Regulation-Division of Professional Regulation (Director) may withdraw, suspend or place on probation the approval of a program of mortuary science when the program's quality is materially affected by any of the following:
A) Gross or repeated violations of any provision of the Funeral Directors and Embalmers Licensing Code (the Code) [225 ILCS 41];
B) Fraud or dishonesty in providing information for the program of mortuary science's evaluation; or
C) Failure to meet the requirements for an approved program of mortuary science as set out in this Section.
2) A program of mortuary science shall be given written notice prior to any action by the Division and those officials may either submit written comments or request a hearing before the Division as set forth in 68 Ill. Adm. Code 1110.
(Source: Amended at 41 Ill. Reg. 11361, effective September 8, 2017)