TITLE 68: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
CHAPTER VII: DEPARTMENT OF FINANCIAL AND PROFESSIONAL REGULATION
SUBCHAPTER b: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
PART 1245 DIETITIAN NUTRITIONIST PRACTICE ACT
SECTION 1245.140 PRACTICE EXPERIENCE
Section 1245.140 Practice Experience
a) Pursuant to Section 45 of the Act, applicants for licensure are required to demonstrate successful completion, within a 5 year time frame, of a minimum of 900 hours of practice experience in dietetics or nutrition, as defined in Section 10 of the Act.
b) The practice experience shall have been received from a supervisor who, at the time direct supervision took place, had at least 3 years of experience in dietetics or nutrition and was one of the following:
1) An individual who holds an active license under the Act or an actively licensed resident of another jurisdiction if the jurisdiction in which the supervisor practices requires licensure;
2) A licensed practitioner (such as, but not limited to, a licensed physician or registered nurse) whose license includes nutrition care;
3) An individual with a doctoral degree conferred by a U.S. regionally accredited college or university with a major course of study in human nutrition, nutrition education, food and nutrition, dietetics or food systems management, nutrition, nutrition science, clinical nutrition, applied clinical nutrition, nutrition counseling, nutrition and functional medicine, or nutrition and integrative health;
4) A registered dietitian or registered dietitian nutritionist of the Commission on Dietetic Registration;
5) A certified clinical nutritionist of the Clinical Nutrition Certification Board;
6) A certified nutrition specialist of the Board of Certification of Nutrition Specialists;
7) A diplomate of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics; or
8) A supervisor approved by the Department.
c) Practice experience must be completed in the United States or its territories.
d) The supervisor shall observe, supervise and assess the applicant through contact or meetings with the supervisee. Supervision may be individual or group.
e) The practice experience must be under direct supervision as defined in Section 1245.10 and documented by the supervisor as satisfactory or better.
f) The practice experience may be obtained concurrently with or following the completion of the education requirements.
g) Internships approved by the following meet the experience requirements set forth in this Section:
1) Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics;
2) American Clinical Board of Nutrition;
3) Board for Certification of Nutrition Specialists; and
4) Clinical Nutrition Certification Board.
(Source: Amended at 40 Ill. Reg. 3658, effective March 11, 2016)