TITLE 68: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
CHAPTER VII: DEPARTMENT OF FINANCIAL AND PROFESSIONAL REGULATION
SUBCHAPTER b: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
PART 1175 THE BARBER, COSMETOLOGY, ESTHETICS, HAIR BRAIDING, AND NAIL TECHNOLOGY ACT OF 1985
SECTION 1175.425 RENEWALS
Section 1175.425 Renewals
a) Every license issued under the Act shall expire as follows:
1) Cosmetology teacher, cosmetology clinic teacher and cosmetology school licenses shall expire on September 30 of each even-numbered year.
2) Cosmetologist licenses shall expire on September 30 of each odd-numbered year. A prerenewal period is the 24-month period preceding September 30 in the year of renewal.
3) The holder of a license may renew that license during the month preceding its expiration date.
b) Applicants for renewal shall:
1) Submit a completed renewal application.
2) Cosmetologist – Certify on the renewal application to successful completion of a minimum of 14 hours of CE from a cosmetology sponsor registered with the Division, in accordance with Section 1175.1200, within the 2 years prior to the expiration date of the license, if renewing a cosmetology license. Certify compliance with Section 1175.1220.
3) Cosmetology Teacher and Cosmetology Clinic Teacher – Certify on the renewal application to successful completion of a minimum of 24 hours of CE from a sponsor registered with the Division, in accordance with Section 1175.1200, within the 2 years prior to renewal if renewing a cosmetology teacher or cosmetology clinic teacher license. Certify compliance with Section 1175.1220. Ten of 24 hours shall be in the following areas:
A) Teaching methodology;
B) Educational psychology;
C) Classroom management; or
D) Other teaching related courses.
4) Submit the required fee set forth in Section 1175.100.
c) A renewal applicant is not required to comply with CE for the first renewal after issuance of original license.
d) The Division may require additional evidence demonstrating compliance with the CE requirements (i.e., certificate of attendance or certificate of completion). It is the responsibility of each renewal applicant to retain or otherwise produce evidence of this compliance. That evidence shall be required in the context of the Division's random audit.
e) It is the responsibility of each licensee to notify the Division of any change of address. Failure to receive a renewal form from the Division shall not constitute an excuse for failure to renew a license.
f) Practicing or operating on a license that has expired shall be considered unlicensed activity and shall be grounds for discipline pursuant to Section 4-7 of the Act.
(Source: Amended at 42 Ill. Reg. 15159, effective August 10, 2018)