TITLE 68: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
CHAPTER VII: DEPARTMENT OF FINANCIAL AND PROFESSIONAL REGULATION
SUBCHAPTER b: PROFESSIONS AND OCCUPATIONS
PART 1160 ILLINOIS ATHLETIC TRAINERS PRACTICE ACT
SECTION 1160.65 CONTINUING EDUCATION
Section 1160.65 Continuing Education
a) CE Hour Requirements
1) Renewal applicants shall complete 40 hours of CE relevant to the practice of athletic training during each prerenewal period. The Division may conduct audits, at a level consistent with its resources for conducting such an audit, to verify compliance with this Section. The prerenewal period is the 24 months preceding the expiration date of the license.
2) A renewal applicant is not required to comply with CE requirements for the first renewal following the original issuance of the license.
3) Athletic trainers licensed in Illinois but residing and practicing in another state must comply with the CE requirements set forth in this Section.
b) Activities for which CE credit may be earned are as follows:
1) Verified attendance or participation in any CE course approved by the BOC or CE sponsors approved by the BOC or its successor agency.
2) Verified attendance at or participation in a program given by a sponsor as set forth in subsection (c)(1).
3) A maximum of 26 hours per prerenewal period for:
A) Papers prepared for or delivered before recognized athletic trainer organizations;
B) Papers published in nationally recognized athletic training journals; and
C) Writing a chapter in a book about athletic training.
4) A licensee who has completed an Emergency Medical Technician training program for EMT-B, EMT-I or EMT-P certification in accordance with 77 Ill. Adm. Code 515 or who has taken CE for renewal of those certifications in accordance with 77 Ill. Adm. Code 515.590 may apply up to 10 hours toward meeting the CE hours set forth in this Section, provided the topics covered during these hours are relevant to the practice of athletic training.
5) A licensee who serves as an instructor, speaker or discussion leader of a course given by an approved sponsor will be allowed CE course credit for actual presentation time, plus actual preparation time of up to 2 hours for each hour of presentation. Preparation time shall not be allowed for presentations of the same course. In no case shall credit for actual time of presentation and preparation be given for more than 9 hours during any renewal period.
6) The CE hours used to satisfy the CE requirements for renewal of an athletic trainer license held in another jurisdiction shall be applied toward the CE requirements for renewal of an Illinois athletic trainer license.
7) College course work relevant to athletic training completed at an accredited college or university. One semester hour of course work is equivalent to 15 hours of CE and one quarter hour of course work is equivalent to 10 hours of CE.
8) A CE hour equals 50 minutes. After completion of the initial CE hour, credit may be given in one-half hour increments.
9) CPR certification by the American Red Cross, American Heart Association, National Safety Council, or their international affiliates, or AED certification by the American Red Cross or other qualified organization as authorized by the Automated External Defibrillator Act. Five hours of CE may be earned for one CPR and AED certification. No more than 2 certifications may be submitted per renewal.
c) CE Sponsors and Programs
1) Sponsor, as used in this Section, shall mean:
A) The BOC or CE sponsors approved by the BOC or its successor agency;
B) Any other school, college or university, State agency, or any other person, firm or association that has been approved and authorized by the Division to coordinate and present CE courses and programs in conjunction with this Section.
2) An entity seeking approval as a CE sponsor, as provided in subsection (c)(1)(B), shall file an application, along with the required fee set forth in Section 1160.35(e), that includes:
i) That all courses and programs offered by the sponsor for CE credit will comply with the criteria in subsection (c)(5) below and all other criteria in this Section;
ii) That the sponsor will be responsible for verifying attendance at each course or program and provide a certificate of completion as set forth in subsection (c)(7); and
iii) That, upon request by the Division, the sponsor will submit evidence as is necessary to establish compliance with this Section. The evidence shall be required when the Division has reason to believe that there is not full compliance with the Act and this Part and that this information is necessary to ensure compliance;
B) A copy of a Certificate of Attendance or Participation that meets the requirements set forth in subsection (c)(7); and
C) A sample of a CE course that includes, but is not limited to, course materials, books, instructor credentials.
3) Each sponsor shall submit by May 31 of even-numbered years a renewal application along with the required renewal fee set forth in Section 1160.35(f).
4) State agencies, colleges and universities shall submit a sponsor application in accordance with subsections (c)(2) and (3); however, they shall be exempt from payment of the fee.
5) All courses and programs shall:
A) Contain materials that contribute to the advancement, extension and enhancement of professional skills and knowledge in the practice of athletic training;
B) Specify the course objectives, course content and teaching methods to be used;
C) Be developed and presented by persons with education and/or experience in the subject matter of the program;
D) Specify the number of CE hours that may be applied to fulfilling the Illinois CE requirements for license renewal; and
E) Include some mechanism whereby participants evaluate the overall quality of the program.
6) All programs given by sponsors shall be open to all licensed athletic trainers and not be limited to the members of a single organization or group.
7) Certificate of Attendance or Participation. It shall be the responsibility of the sponsor to provide each participant in an approved program or course with a certificate of attendance or participation that shall contain the following information:
A) The name, address and license number of the sponsor;
B) The name and license number of the participant;
C) A brief statement of the subject matter;
D) The number of clock hours actually attended in each program;
E) The date and place of the program; and
F) The signature of the sponsor.
8) The sponsor shall maintain course materials and attendance records containing all information in subsection (c)(7) for not less than 5 years, except for the signature of the sponsor.
9) The sponsor shall be responsible for assuring that no renewal applicant shall receive CE credit for time not actually spent attending the program.
10) The Division, upon recommendation of the Board, shall withdraw, suspend or place on probation the approval of a CE sponsor when, at any time, the quality of the CE fails to meet the established criteria as set forth in this Section or if the sponsorship approval was based upon false or deceptive information or if any other related license of the sponsor or instructor is suspended, revoked or otherwise disciplined.
11) Notwithstanding any other provision of this Section, the Division or Board may evaluate any sponsor of any CE program at any time.
12) The Division shall maintain a list of all approved CE sponsors.
d) CE Earned in Other Jurisdictions
1) If a renewal applicant will be earning or has earned CE hours in another jurisdiction, the applicant is not licensed in that jurisdiction and the course is not presented by an approved sponsor, the applicant shall submit an individual program approval request form, along with a $20 processing fee, to have the program reviewed. The Board shall review and recommend approval or disapproval of the program using the criteria set forth in subsection (c)(5). Applicants may seek individual program approval prior to participation in the course or program. All individual program approval requests shall be submitted at least 90 days prior to the expiration date of the license.
2) If a licensee fails to submit an out of state CE approval form within the required time frame, late approval may be obtained by submitting the approval request form with the $20 processing fee plus a $10 per CE hour late fee not to exceed $150. The Board shall review and recommend approval or disapproval of the program using the criteria set forth in subsection (c)(3).
e) Certification of Compliance with CE Requirements
1) Each renewal applicant shall certify, on the renewal application, full compliance with the CE requirements set forth in subsection (a).
2) The Division may require additional documentation in order to demonstrate compliance with the CE requirements. It is the responsibility of each renewal applicant to retain or otherwise produce evidence of compliance. The additional documentation will be required in the context of a Division audit.
3) When there appears to be a lack of compliance with CE requirements, an applicant will be notified and may request an interview with the Board. At that time the Board may recommend that steps be taken to begin formal disciplinary proceedings as required by Section 10-65 of the Illinois Administrative Procedure Act [5 ILCS 100/10-65].
f) Restoration of Nonrenewed License. Upon evidence of compliance with CE requirements, the Division may restore the license upon payment of the required fee.
g) Waiver of CE Requirements
1) Any renewal applicant seeking renewal of a license without having fully complied with these CE requirements shall file with the Division a renewal application, the required renewal fee, a statement setting forth the facts concerning the noncompliance, and a request for waiver of the CE requirements on the basis of these facts. The applicant may request an interview with the Board at the time of the waiver request. If the Division, upon the written recommendation of the Board, finds from the applicant's affidavit or any other evidence submitted that extreme hardship has been shown to substantiate granting of a waiver, the Division shall waive enforcement of the CE requirements for the renewal period for which the applicant has applied.
2) If an interview with the Board is requested at the time the request for waiver is filed with the Division, the renewal applicant shall be given at least 20 days written notice of the date, time and place of the interview by certified mail, return receipt requested.
3) Extreme hardship shall be determined on an individual basis by the Board and be defined as an inability to devote sufficient hours to fulfilling the CE requirements during the applicable prerenewal period because of:
A) Full-time service in the armed forces of the United States of America during a substantial part of the prerenewal period;
B) An incapacitating illness, documented by a currently licensed physician; or
C) Any other similar extenuating circumstances (i.e., family illness and prolonged hospitalization).
4) Any renewal applicant who, prior to the expiration date of the license, submits a request for a waiver, pursuant to the provisions of this Section, shall be deemed to be in good standing and may practice until the Division's final decision on the waiver has been made.
(Source: Amended at 41 Ill. Reg. 981, effective January 27, 2017)