TITLE 62: MINING
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF NATURAL RESOURCES
PART 240 THE ILLINOIS OIL AND GAS ACT
SECTION 240.1180 LEASE RESTORATION
Section 240.1180 Lease Restoration
a) Within 6 months after the last well on a lease has been plugged, all excavations and pits shall be filled and leveled and all pits and concrete storage structures shall be restored in accordance with Subpart H. Subject to an existing right of way, tank batteries and other production equipment, rock and concrete pads, general oilfield waste and equipment debris, flowlines at or above the surface, and electric power lines and poles extending on or above the surface, shall be removed. Containment dikes shall be removed if constructed with other than soil and leveled.
b) Upon written request of the permittee, the Department may approve extensions of time, not to exceed a date 12 months after the plugging of the well, to complete the work required to bring the lease into compliance with this Section. All extension requests must be received by the Department no less than 10 calendar days prior to the expiration of the initial 6 month period of any extensions. When determining whether to grant an extension and in determining the length of an extension, the Department will consider factors including, but not limited to:
1) the permittee's diligence in completing the work since the well was plugged;
2) weather conditions;
3) amount and type of work completed;
4) amount and type of work still remaining to be completed;
5) number of wells and facilities involved in the work;
6) written consent to extension from surface owner;
7) availability of equipment and/or services; and
8) conditions beyond the permittee's control.
(Source: Amended at 40 Ill. Reg. 7051, effective April 22, 2016)