TITLE 59: MENTAL HEALTH
CHAPTER I: DEPARTMENT OF HUMAN SERVICES
PART 116 ADMINISTRATION OF MEDICATION IN COMMUNITY SETTINGS
SECTION 116.80 STORAGE AND DISPOSAL OF MEDICATIONS
Section 116.80 Storage and Disposal of Medications
a) All medications shall be stored in locked compartments or within the locked medicine container, cabinet or closet.
b) Access to medications shall be limited to licensed personnel and authorized direct care staff. Each program shall maintain an up-to-date list of authorized direct care staff.
c) Each program shall have a written procedure for safeguarding medications kept in an individual's room or possession and shall require medications to be stored when individual safety cannot otherwise be assured.
d) All medications shall be stored in their original containers.
e) All prescription medications that are given to individuals at the direction of the physician, registered professional nurse, advanced practice nurse, pharmacist, physician assistant, dentist, podiatrist, or certified optometrist shall have a label with the same information as would appear on a pharmacy label in accordance with Section 22 of the Illinois Pharmacy Practice Act [225 ILCS 85] to show:
1) the name and address of the pharmacy where the prescription is sold or dispensed;
2) the name or initials of the person authorized to practice pharmacy;
3) the date on which the prescription was filled;
4) the name of the patient;
5) the prescription number as filed in the prescription files;
6) the last name of the practitioner who prescribed the prescription;
7) the directions for use as contained in the prescription; and
8) the proprietary name or names or the established name of the medications, the dosage and the quantity.
f) Disposal of all medications shall be in accordance with federal and State laws.
(Source: Amended at 41 Ill. Reg. 6534, effective May 26, 2017)