TITLE 35: ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
SUBTITLE G: WASTE DISPOSAL
CHAPTER I: POLLUTION CONTROL BOARD
SUBCHAPTER c: HAZARDOUS WASTE OPERATING REQUIREMENTS
PART 722 STANDARDS APPLICABLE TO GENERATORS OF HAZARDOUS WASTE
SECTION 722.310 HAZARDOUS WASTE DETERMINATION IN THE LABORATORY
Section 722.310 Hazardous Waste Determination in the Laboratory
When an eligible academic entity makes the hazardous waste determination, pursuant to Section 722.111, for unwanted material in the laboratory, it must fulfill the following requirements:
a) A trained professional must make the hazardous waste determination, pursuant to Section 722.111(a) through (d), before the unwanted material is removed from the laboratory.
b) If an unwanted material is a hazardous waste, the eligible academic entity must do the following:
1) It must write the words "hazardous waste" on the container label that is affixed or attached to the container, before the hazardous waste may be removed from the laboratory;
2) It must write the appropriate USEPA hazardous waste numbers on the label that is associated with the container (or on the label that is affixed or attached to the container, if that is preferred) before the hazardous waste is transported off-site; and
3) It must count the hazardous waste toward the amount used to determine the eligible academic entity's generator category, pursuant to Section 722.113, in the calendar month that the hazardous waste determination was made.
c) A trained professional must accompany all hazardous waste that is transferred from the laboratory to an on-site central accumulation area or on-site interim status or permitted treatment, storage, or disposal facility.
d) When hazardous waste is removed from the laboratory, the following requirements apply:
1) An eligible academic entity that is an LQG or an SQG must ensure that its hazardous waste is taken directly from the laboratory to an on-site central accumulation area or to an on-site interim status or permitted treatment, storage, or disposal facility, or the waste is transported off-site.
2) An eligible academic entity that is a VSQG must ensure that its hazardous waste is taken directly from the laboratory to any of the types of facilities listed in Section 722.114.
e) An unwanted material that is a hazardous waste is subject to all applicable hazardous waste regulations after it has been removed from the laboratory.
(Source: Amended at 42 Ill. Reg. 22047, effective November 19, 2018)