TITLE 32: ENERGY
CHAPTER II: ILLINOIS EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY
SUBCHAPTER b: RADIATION PROTECTION
PART 337 PHYSICAL PROTECTION OF CATEGORY 1 AND CATEGORY 2 QUANTITIES OF RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL
SECTION 337.3040 ADVANCE NOTIFICATION OF SHIPMENT OF CATEGORY 1 QUANTITIES OF RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL
Section 337.3040 Advance Notification of Shipment of Category 1 Quantities of Radioactive Material
As specified in subsections (a) and (b), each licensee shall provide advance notification to IEMA and the governor of a state, or the governor's designee, of the shipment of licensed material in a category 1 quantity through or across the boundary of the state before the transport, or delivery to a carrier for transport, of the licensed material outside the confines of the licensee's facility or other place of use or storage.
a) Procedures for Submitting Advance Notification
1) The notification shall be made to IEMA and to the office of each appropriate governor or governor's designee.
A) Notifications for the Governor of the State of Illinois and IEMA shall be sent to Illinois Emergency Management Agency, ATTN: Radiological Field Services Unit Supervisor, Bureau of Radiation Safety, 1301 Knotts Street, Springfield IL 62703. The notifications may also be made by email or by facsimile. For the correct email or facsimile number, call, prior to sending notification, (217)782-7860 or (800)782-7860.
B) The contact information, including telephone and mailing addresses, of governors and governors' designees, is available on NRC's website at https://scp.nrc.gov/special/designee.pdf. A list of the contact information is also available upon request from the Director, Division of Material Safety, State, Tribal, and Rulemaking Programs, Office of Nuclear Material Safety and Safeguards, U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Washington, DC 20555-0001.
2) A notification delivered by mail shall be postmarked at least 7 calendar days before transport of the shipment commences at the shipping facility.
3) A notification delivered by any means other than mail must reach IEMA at least 4 business days before the transport of the shipment commences and must reach the office of a governor or the governor's designee at least 4 business days before transport of a shipment within or through a state.
b) Information to be Furnished in Advance Notification of Shipment
Each advance notification of shipment of category 1 quantities of radioactive material shall contain the following information, if available at the time of notification:
1) The name, address and telephone number of the shipper, carrier and receiver of the category 1 radioactive material;
2) The license numbers of the shipper and receiver;
3) A description of the radioactive material contained in the shipment, including the radionuclides and quantity;
4) The point of origin of the shipment and the estimated time and date that the shipment will commence;
5) The estimated time and date that the shipment is expected to enter each state along the route;
6) The estimated time and date of arrival of the shipment at the destination; and
7) A point of contact, with a telephone number, for current shipment information.
c) Revision Notice
1) The licensee shall provide any information not previously available at the time of the initial notification as soon as the information becomes available, but not later than commencement of the shipment, to the governor of each state, or the governor's designee, and to IEMA.
2) A licensee shall promptly notify the governor of each state, or the governor's designee, of any changes to the information provided in accordance with subsections (b) and (c)(1). The licensee shall also immediately notify IEMA of the changes.
d) Cancellation Notice
Each licensee that cancels a shipment for which advance notification has been sent shall send a cancellation notice to the governor of each state, or to the governor's designee, previously notified and to IEMA. The licensee shall send the cancellation notice before the shipment would have commenced or as soon thereafter as possible. The licensee shall state in the notice that it is a cancellation and identify the advance notification that is being cancelled.
The licensee shall retain a copy of the advance notification and any revision and cancellation notices as a record for 3 years.
f) Protection of Information
State officials, State employees and any other individuals, whether or not licensees of NRC or an Agreement State, who receive schedule information of the kind specified in subsection (b) shall protect that information against unauthorized disclosure as specified in Section 337.2020(d).
(Source: Amended at 42 Ill. Reg. 42 Ill. Reg. 7485, effective April 4, 2018)