TITLE 32: ENERGY
CHAPTER II: ILLINOIS EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY
SUBCHAPTER b: RADIATION PROTECTION
PART 337 PHYSICAL PROTECTION OF CATEGORY 1 AND CATEGORY 2 QUANTITIES OF RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL
SECTION 337.1010 PERSONNEL ACCESS AUTHORIZATION REQUIREMENTS FOR CATEGORY 1 OR CATEGORY 2 QUANTITIES OF RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL
Section 337.1010 Personnel Access Authorization Requirements for Category 1 or Category 2 Quantities of Radioactive Material
1) Each licensee that possesses an aggregated quantity of radioactive material at or above the category 2 threshold shall establish, implement and maintain its access authorization program in accordance with the requirements of this Subpart.
2) An applicant for a new license and each licensee that would become newly subject to the requirements of this Subpart upon application for modification of its license shall implement the requirements of this Subpart, as appropriate, before taking possession of an aggregated category 1 or category 2 quantity of radioactive material.
3) Any licensee that has not previously implemented the Security Orders, legally binding requirements of the Agreement States or been subject to the provisions of this Subpart B shall implement the provisions of this Subpart B before aggregating radioactive material to a quantity that equals or exceeds the category 2 threshold.
AGENCY NOTE: Security orders refers to any order that was issued by the NRC or an amendment to a license issued by IEMA that required fingerprints and an FBI criminal history records check for access to safeguards information, safeguards information-modified handling, or risk significant material.
b) General Performance Objective
The licensee's access authorization program shall ensure that the individuals specified in subsection (c)(1) are trustworthy and reliable.
1) Licensees shall subject the following individuals to an access authorization program:
A) Any individual whose assigned duties require unescorted access to category 1 or category 2 quantities of radioactive material or to any device that contains the radioactive material; and
B) Reviewing officials.
2) Licensees need not subject the categories of individuals listed in Section 337.1050(a) to the investigation elements of the access authorization program identified in Section 337.1030.
3) Licensees shall approve for unescorted access to category 1 or category 2 quantities of radioactive material only those individuals with job duties that require unescorted access to category 1 or category 2 quantities of radioactive material.
(Source: Amended at 42 Ill. Reg. 42 Ill. Reg. 7485, effective April 4, 2018)