TITLE 32: ENERGY
CHAPTER II: ILLINOIS EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY
SUBCHAPTER b: RADIATION PROTECTION
PART 335 MEDICAL USE OF RADIOACTIVE MATERIAL
SECTION 335.7030 SAFETY PRECAUTIONS
Section 335.7030 Safety Precautions
a) For each patient or human research subject who is receiving brachytherapy and cannot be released under Section 335.2110 of this Part, a licensee shall:
1) Not quarter the patient or the human research subject in the same room as an individual who is not receiving brachytherapy;
2) Authorize visits by individuals under age 18 only on a patient-by-patient basis with the approval of the authorized user after consultation with the Radiation Safety Officer;
3) Conspicuously post the patient's or human research subject's room with a "Caution – Radioactive Materials" sign bearing the radiation symbol;
4) Note on the door or in the patient's or human research subject's chart where and how long visitors may stay in the patient's or human research subject's room; and
5) Note on the door or in the patient's or human research subject's chart safety instruction noted in Section 335.7020 of this Part.
b) A licensee shall have applicable emergency response equipment available near each treatment room to respond to a source:
1) Dislodged from the patient; and
2) Lodged within the patient following removal of the source applicators.
c) A licensee shall notify the Radiation Safety Officer, or his or her designee, and an authorized user as soon as possible if the patient or human research subject has a medical emergency or dies.
(Source: Amended at 30 Ill. Reg. 9029, effective April 28, 2006)