TITLE 26: ELECTIONS
CHAPTER I: STATE BOARD OF ELECTIONS
PART 207 MISCELLANEOUS
SECTION 207.140 CERTIFICATION OF SIGNATURE IMAGING SYSTEMS
Section 207.140 Certification of Signature Imaging Systems
a) A signature imaging system is a system of computer hardware and software which captures, stores and reproduces an image of a signature from an original document.
b) Except for those signature imaging systems in use by election authorities on November 15, 1996, no signature imaging system may be employed by an election authority unless it is first approved by the State Board of Elections (Board) upon the application of the election authority seeking to employ the system.
c) Each election authority applying to the Board for the certification of a signature imaging system shall make its application in writing and shall represent to the Board that the system it seeks to have certified complies with applicable statutes. Such representation shall be sufficient evidence of compliance for the Board to certify the system.
d) The Board shall, for good cause shown, decertify any system previously certified for use by election authorities.
e) The application, approval, and decertification process shall be in accord with those procedures set out in 26 Ill. Adm. Code 204, Approval of Voting Systems, except that:
1) the election authority shall make the application for certification;
2) signature imaging systems shall not be required to meet the requirements of 26 Ill. Adm. Code 204.40 for interim or final approval, nothing in 26 Ill. Adm. Code 204 to the contrary withstanding;
3) the Board shall accept the representation of the election authority that the system complies with applicable statutes as prima facie evidence that the system does in fact so comply;
4) in the even that the Board determines to test a system in anticipation of decertification, it shall require the election authority to prepare a sample poll list of signature images of voters of the kind intended to be used in the polling place, not to exceed 5% of the precincts in the jurisdiction of the election authority, together with the original documents from which those signature images with the originals; and
5) The Board shall provide not less than thirty (30) days notice to an election authority prior to testing a certified system and shall not decertify a certified system in the thirty (30) days immediately preceding an election.
The Board shall prescribe the form of the application and shall publish and make available to election authorities procedural operation criteria that meet the requirements of applicable statutes.
f) Signature imaging systems which are in actual use or under lease or purchase agreement by election authorities on November 15, 1996 shall be deemed to comply with the requirements of this Section.
(Source: Added at 20 Ill. Reg. 2634, effective February 10, 1997)