TITLE 23: EDUCATION AND CULTURAL RESOURCES
SUBTITLE A: EDUCATION
CHAPTER I: STATE BOARD OF EDUCATION
SUBCHAPTER k: SCHOOL RECORDS
PART 375 STUDENT RECORDS
SECTION 375.80 DIRECTORY INFORMATION
Section 375.80 Directory Information
a) Information that may be designated as directory information shall be limited to:
1) Identifying information: student's name, address, grade level, and birth date and place, and parents' names, mailing addresses, electronic mail addresses, and telephone numbers;
2) Photographs, videos, or digital images used for informational or news-related purposes (whether by a media outlet or by the school) of a student participating in school or school-sponsored activities, organizations, and athletics that have appeared in school publications, such as yearbooks, newspapers, or sporting or fine arts programs, except that:
A) No photograph highlighting individual faces shall be used for commercial purposes, including solicitation, advertising, promotion or fundraising without the prior, specific, dated and written consent of the parent or student, as applicable (see 765 ILCS 1075/30); and
B) No image on a school security video recording shall be designated as directory information;
3) Academic awards, degrees, and honors;
4) Information in relation to school-sponsored activities, organizations, and athletics;
5) Major field of study; and
6) Period of attendance in the school.
b) No student Social Security Number (SSN) or student identification (ID) or unique student identifier can be designated as directory information.
c) "Directory Information" may be released to the general public, unless a parent requests that any or all the directory information not be released on his/her child. School districts shall notify parents annually of the information that is considered to be "directory information" and of the procedures to be used by parents to request that specific information not be released.
(Source: Amended at 42 Ill. Reg. 5899, effective March 15, 2018)